Becoming an ordained minister

I want to become an ordained minister what are your views on this noone i know takes me seriously but i honestly feel its my calling i've been thinking about this for just over a year when my 15 year old cousin died and some stranger did her funeral well it made me think about doing it even more but i dont know i have no support not even from my husband

aubrees_mommie

Asked by aubrees_mommie at 12:11 AM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think that if you feel like it is your calling then you should do it. Whatever you think will make you feel happy and fulfilled.
    GraciesMomLJP

Answer by GraciesMomLJP at 12:20 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I think that if you feel that you are being called to be ordained then you should look into it. It's not like getting a certificate on-liine that lets you marry people though. To be an ordained minister you have to go to seminary school, which does take time, and there may not be one in your area. I'm not trying to scare you off, but it is a real commitment and you should know what you are getting into.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:47 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• The only valid ordination to the Christian ministry comes from God. (2 Cor. 3:5, 6; Isa. 61:1, 2) those ordained by God are his ministers. In the Bible God outlines the requirements for those who become his ministers. They must study his Word to learn his will and then bring their lives into harmony with it. If one does this, God requires that one make a personal dedication to do His will. (Rom. 12:1) This dedication, this vow to do God’s will, is made in private prayer to Jehovah God through Christ. Then, in symbol of such dedication, one must be baptized in water as Jesus was. (Matt. 3:13-17) He now becomes God’s ordained minister.
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 2:51 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I have a friend that became an ordained minister of the Church of Satan online... Although I don't think that's what you were asking... Sorry, I don't know many Christians...

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• According to the Bible, only men are to be pastors, elders, bishops, and deacons. Women can be teachers(which some call preachers). The Bible further states that women are not to have authority over men, which most people interpret to mean that women should only teach other women and younger children. If I were you, I would study those passages and earnestly pray to make absolutely certain of what it is that God is calling you to do.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:02 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• In my opinion, NannyB's reply can come across as sexist . To the OP, you do whatever your heart tells you to do. If we all went by strictly what the Bible says then where would we be. The Bible is for personal interpretation. Don't let one persons interpretation of the Bible steer you from what your heart is telling you. Maybe people need more women to be in the leadership role in Church.
    Anonymous

• I was ordained online and while I do not ever intend to practice being a Reverend in the church setting, I do legally have the ability to perform baptisms, weddings and funerals. So depending on what you would like to do as a minister, you can become ordained online or go to seminary school. Do what is right in your heart...do not let others dictate your future for you. Good luck hun!
    Anonymous

• MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:40 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• are you in a denomination that ordains ministers? or even a church that ordains ministers? you could look into it though your denomination, or church.
    Anonymous

• I would love an update to this post to see where you are now, as I am having the same thoughts and hopes! THANKS!
    ktnliv

Answer by ktnliv at 1:45 PM on Mar. 22, 2010