I'm a vet tech, do you need advice?

I've noticed there are lots of pet questions. I've been a vet tech/surgery tech for many years. If you need advice feel free to ask.

luvinher

Asked by luvinher at 12:36 AM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Pets

• Ok, I've got a really stupid question for you, and you can laugh if you want, I'll understand...I have a large lab-mix dog that is almost a year old. We'll be getting him fixed soon. The thing is, he has very prominent...testicles. My question is, will he be left with sagging skin, or do they remove some of the scrotum when they neuter them? Or does it shrink back up? I've never owned a male dog that wasn't fixed at a few weeks old!
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 12:55 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I have a female dog who is 5 years old. She is very healthy but I have noticed something odd and I am not sure if it is the anal glands. She will be lying down and get up and sniff near her end. She then may lick herself or the surrounding area. There seems to be a smell like iron--not really blood smell but one of iron. I know that sounds odd to some people:-) Only one time did I see anything and that was on linoleum--it was brownish and really smelled bad. It doesn't happen every day.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• My 1 year old puppy has been squinting one eye and its been red. I thought it healed,but a few days later she was squinting again. I thought maybe she scratched herself or she has something in her eye. Ive tried visine,but Im just curious as to what is can be. Also,shes 1/2 chihuahua and 1/2 jack russel. Can you tell me any common or neat info or facts about those breeds to help train her and interract with her better?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Hey I was just wondering if you could take a look at my pic and see what you think my horse has, I think it is either ringworm or rain rot. Could ya help me out if I send you a pic. Or you can go to horse lovers and click on the rash and look at it. It is already posted there. Thanks a million!
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 1:03 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• To the anon. about anal glands. That is defin. what's going on. She should naturally express them with a norm. b. m. but sometimes they don't. She may rub on the carpet to release them because it can be uncomfortable. Totally normal, yes it stinks.
    luvinher

Answer by luvinher at 1:11 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• To anon. with eye issue. She may have something in there like a piece of grass. Pull her lid down and look around. If it cont. take her to her vet. Don't use visine on her, but you can flush with water. Fill a syringe( no needle)(like you may use for your kids meds) with water, pull lid down and flush. Sorry I'm not a dog trainer but I can tell you that she will need LOTS of exercise and many walks so she doesn't tear up your house.
    luvinher

Answer by luvinher at 1:15 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I have a 2 year old Rat Terrier who seems to be getting a lot what I think are moles. They don't seem to bother her when they are touched or rubbed when she's being pet or bathed. They don't seem to bother anyone but my DH who's never been a dog lover until we got our little Suzie and he's worried....LOL. Are moles normal for dogs? Thanks for posting this. What a generous thing to do with your time on CM : )
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 1:27 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• My dog seems to have some sort of skin allergies. I've had her at the vet twice for this, both times he's told me that it's flea allergies. She's tearing her fur out around her hind legs & tail, she's pretty much bald there right now. Both times the vet put her on prednisone tablets & told me to get a different flea med. She's on frontline plus, both times I've tried something else it seems to not work as well.... Anyway, is there something else I need to do? The flea approach hasn't helped & I'm not convinced that it's the problem.
    immadismom

Answer by immadismom at 1:18 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Sorry, I should have added, my dog is 1/2 Westie & 1/2 Poodle.
    immadismom

• i saw that you posted an answer about my puppy question last night and wanted to say thanks for the input i really appreciated it. If your interested she DID have her puppies in the room where i wanted her to. She began delivering around 5:30 this morning and by 9:30 we had 9 beautiful healthy pups and mom is doing great.
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 1:22 PM on Jan. 3, 2009