my baby is almost 6 weeks old an i am breastfeeding can i be starting my period already??

how do i no the differences between it being my period or something be wrong because i was told that you arent suppose to star your period while breastfeeding. ive hard that it cold also be a uterus infection that the bleeding is coming from

redivy

Asked by redivy at 12:54 AM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You could. It really depends on your feeding schedule and your body. How often does your baby nurse and do you supplement?
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 12:57 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• You could be starting your period, some women start others don't. Just watch for large clots. If you are uncomfortable with it you can always call your doc and ask. It should be about time for your pp checkup anyways.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 12:58 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I am sorry I read 6 months, not 6 weeks... Had you stopped bleeding from birth already? Or could it still be postpartum bleeding?
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 1:03 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• You can be on your cycle because when you brest feed you relive pressure off your uterus. Wich will also help the swelling of your uterus go down. In turn that is a big help in your healing prosess. Trust me, I'v talked to different doctors about this myself. Even the ones I worked with. But if your concerned that much then you should consult your doctor too. And you should aways go with what your doctor says.
    russian-mommy

Answer by russian-mommy at 1:42 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Do you exclusively breastfeed or do you pump. My doctor said your period could come back fast if you don't exclusively breastfeed. I bled for 3 mos straight and thought it was an infection and I was just fine. If you notice any foul odors coming from the blood get it checked...that could be an infection. If in doubt get it checked out! You should be coming up on ur 6 week pp visit.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 2:40 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Yep you could be. Some are lucky to go and not have a period while breastfeeding, but some can breastfeed exclusively and have a period!
    Central_IL_Mom

Answer by Central_IL_Mom at 2:46 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I got mine at about 5 1/2 weeks. I felt gypped! I was pissed!! =) A friend of mine was nursing her 18 month old once a day and still hadn't had a period. It's totally individual, and normal. And yes, I exclusively breastfeed. As long as you don't have any golf ball sized chunks or strange odors, you're fine.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:09 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• You can totally get your period while breastfeeding. Actually, depending on how long you're doing it for, it's more likely that you WILL get it than you won't...it just usually holds off for at least a couple of months. Are you going in for your follow-up soon? Mention it to your doc to be sure. You'll also want to start on birth control ASAP unless you're planning on getting pregnant again right away. Good luck!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:30 AM on Jan. 3, 2009