my baby is almost 6 weeks old an i am breastfeeding can i be starting my period already??

how do i no the differences between it being my period or something be wrong because i was told that you arent suppose to star your period while breastfeeding. ive hard that it cold also be a uterus infection that the bleeding is coming from

redivy

Asked by redivy at 12:54 AM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Health

• It depends on how much he is nursing--you can start if he isn't nursing a lot--almost every two hours if I recall. And you can't supplement with a bottle or you body will return to cycles.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• It is very possible to get your period back while nursing, even when nursing frequently...all return dates are normal. It's a myth that you DON'T get your period while nursing. More ccurate that you're less likely to.

It's also possible you're having more lochia.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:15 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Oh yeah! I started my period before 6 weeks. When I went to the Dr. for my 6 week check up he said he needed to get me on Birth Control ASAP because if I was already starting my period that soon, I was a FERTILE MERTILE and unless I wanted to get preggie again right away I better do something about it!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 1:30 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I was breast feeding and had my first period when my daughter was 8 weeks old. It was the worst of my life, also. Nothing irritates me more than ppl whining about getting their first when their kid is like 8 months old, lol. If you think something might be wrong call your doctor...But they'll likely tell you that there's a very good chance it's your period.
    Live4HerSmile

Answer by Live4HerSmile at 2:11 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• for all 3 of my DD i started my period at 6 weeks and i was exclusivly nursing all of them, trust me i was disappointed!
    BonnieboBonnie2

Answer by BonnieboBonnie2 at 7:11 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• oh i forgot to add. I knew it was my period becuase i had stopped my bleeding about 2-3 weeks after delivery and then started back up at 6 weeks.
    BonnieboBonnie2

Answer by BonnieboBonnie2 at 7:12 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• You can have your period while breastfeeding, you can also become pregnant while breastfeeding. Breastfeeding is not a form of birth control so be careful until your ready to try to conceive again. Some women are lucky and don't have their period, but many do.

I had mine back on time with my son (first born) but it took 7 months to come back with my daughter. Every woman is different.
    PeytonNBella

Answer by PeytonNBella at 8:13 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

I disagree with this. It doesn't matter how often the baby nurses. If your going to get your period back early on it's going to come even if the baby lives at your breast.
    PeytonNBella

Answer by PeytonNBella at 8:17 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I didn't get mine for 4 months, have had 3 normal ones, now have missed December again!! It's aggravating!! And I am still breastfeeding.
    momof3111418

Answer by momof3111418 at 8:57 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Just depends on the person. My friend got hers back quite quickly, mine was 2 years and we both breastfed with no supplementing.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 9:03 AM on Jan. 3, 2009