Learning delay question.

I have a child who doesn't really like to play. I have to coerce him into playing a game or with toys. He likes to read. He will build with legos or bionicles. He has sensory integration disorder and possibly more. He doesn't like to exercise or play outside. Help me. I need to figure out how to get this kid to play! We homeschool and he is quite up to speed acedemically....but he just doesn't play! This is effecting his physical development. He is weak and needs exercise.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Jan. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• Can he take any classes like martial arts or gymnastics? Swimming?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• He won't. He doesn't like sports at all. I have to make him do the exercise games on our Wii Fit. He isn't overweight, just weaker then he should be. He has been tested for MD related diseases but I am really starting to wonder if there is something else physically wrong.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• What does he do if you take him to the park? Maybe if you take him there consistantly and he see's you and your husband playing he might just join in. Being at the park there's no other distraction like there is at home.
    Good luck!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 1:24 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• When we go to the park he will play for a few minutes. Then he will lie on a slide or piece of equipment and daydream or sit on a swing and not swing. He says it is too hard and he is tired. He reminds me of myself when I was young. He is 11.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• He needs some friends. If you can, foster some friendships. The other kids will draw him out and get him to play more. I drive a special needs school bus and social interaction does wonders for kids, they just bloom in front of me! Good luck to you!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 2:37 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I would try to make playdates with school or neighborhood friends. Have them over for the wii fit, or other fun games to start. Once he bonds with one or two of the friends, he will most likely start doing boy stuff with them. Maybe your child is more a "thinker" than a doer? A friend of mine's older son was similar to your boy from what you wrote, and he was always top of the class with A's and A+'s. He never did become very active like most boys, but now he is in his early twenties and working in research, very smart young man.
    Del672

Answer by Del672 at 9:14 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Perhaps you could get the doc to prescribe PT for the fatigue & weakness? With PT, he has to do the work, like it or not. If he qualifies for the PT, the therapist will also provide you with a home program to do in-between formal sessions and then, when he's ready to be discharged from formal therapy, the therapist will provide a more intensive program to do at home to maintain what he's gained. Because the home program will essentially be "doctor's orders", would that make him more compliant and actually do the exercise? I actually have the opposite problem, my son desperately wants to play, but b/c of a congenital myopathy, he just can't keep up with the other kids his age, so we do lots of PT, and it really does help some.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 12:33 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• OP: He is in physical therapy and occupational therapy. He has sensory integration dysfunction/disorder and is not a "normal" kid. He doesn't want friends. He hangs out with people he knows and has fun with. He doesn't like to do anything though. He needs to move his body and have fun. I wish I could find someone just like him for him to work with. He is a brilliant funny kid.
    Anonymous