A sad 5 year old

This past july we moved and we had to leave his friends behind. One was a girl who was the greatest thing in his life( at least to him). We move here and realize there are no kids here to play with. So time went on and we finally found some kids and kids at his school. I thought it would help. But now he doesn't want to play with anyone. He talks about her no stop. He asks me to drive him there to see her(Which i can't ). he even draws her pictures and asks me to mail them to her(I don't know address). Please if anyone can give me advise it would be great.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Jan. 3, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Bless his heart! Maybe it would help to ask him what it was about her that he liked so much, and then point out that lots of other people in his class (or playgroup or wherever) have those same qualities. Also, reassure him that just because he makes new friends will in no way take away from the friendship he shares with this girl - that he has the ability to be friends with many people at the same time.
    owensmom17

Answer by owensmom17 at 1:07 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Can he call her? My son loved to talk on the phone at 5. One thing my mom did to help my son when we moved was when she was in town she took my son door to door and we found kids in our neighborhood. He adjusted pretty well. Kids are resillient
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• my sister is the same way. we moved from Indiana to Virginia when she was about four. and she also had a little bf named trevor and her best friends emily and jadelynn. every pet or doll she gets she names them after these friends. there are a few kids now for her to play with since she is now 6 1/2. but sometimes its heartbreaking to hear her talk about school. she says no one ever wants to play with her. its hard on kids to move to a new place where all the kids already know eachother. but sometimes its her fault no one plays w/ her b/c when they ask she often tells them no. her fault or not though, its the saddest thing when a child cries b/c they have no friends and are lonely :(
    mandei1509

Answer by mandei1509 at 1:24 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• If you can I would see if you can find out her address. If he could start writing letters to her in a pen pal way that might help.

I would also talk to him about what he is feeling and why he is this way. Sorry I can not be of more help.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:16 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Do you know anyone who know the child that your son was friends with or maybe the mother where you used to live. Maybe they can find out the address for you so your son can write to them. Do you have any family in the area that can help find the address for you. Do you know the parents names then maybe you can call the local post office and see if that can get in touch with her parents, just explain that your son is lost without her.
    christiwal

Answer by christiwal at 5:36 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Call the school and see if they would give a letter to her if you mailed it there (if you don't know the address.) I moved a lot as a kid, and my mom always let me write letters to friends I'd left behind. It made me feel better. Plus, a few years later, we moved back to one town, and lots of the kids remembered me, especially ones I had written to.
    Bless his heart - sometimes you really do make life-long friends that young.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 6:50 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Is there anyway you can get her address so they can be penpals?
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 7:56 PM on Jan. 3, 2009