Reheating tamales?????????

A lady in our neighborood makes fresh tamales and sells them door to door. We just bought some last night, unfortunately we'd already had dinner so they will be tonight's dinner. I can't wait to try them, there is just one problem. I don't know the bestway to reheat them.

So ladies what is the best way to reheat tamales?

Jerichos_Mommy

Asked by Jerichos_Mommy at 9:06 AM on Sep. 29, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I like to heat them this way bc this is the way they are cooked.
    Get a large pan with 2 short handles and when holding the pan kind of tilt it and place your tamales in stacks (standing) and as it gets full you level your pan straight on your stove burner add a little water just enough to make steam cover the pan for about 15-20 minutes on low or longer just keep checking them and soon they will come out just as if they came out from cooking...yum!
    Oh and when you add the water make sure the tamales get a little wet oppose to just putting water at the bottom. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:22 AM on Sep. 29, 2011

• You take them off the wrappings and micro wave them!

Answer by older at 9:08 AM on Sep. 29, 2011

• Older's answer is close to my own. I keep the husks on and wrap them in damp paper towels and then microwave them.
    Brawnwyn

Answer by Brawnwyn at 9:10 AM on Sep. 29, 2011

• Fastest way is I just pop them in the microwave in a plastic baggie or plastic container with husks on for 2-3 min but i think the nest way is the oven. Preheat oven to about 425 degrees, Remove husk wrapper from tamales. Apply thin layer of butter to the inside of cookie sheet, place tamales on cookie sheet. Tamales are ready when surface skin on tamale is dark brown and crispy
    shar-hulk

Answer by shar-hulk at 9:11 AM on Sep. 29, 2011

• Ok ladies I think I will try it with those husks on next time, thanks for the tip.

Answer by older at 9:13 AM on Sep. 29, 2011

• Take them out of the husks and place them on a plate with a paper towel over them. Tamales are always best fresh and hot, just be sure not to heat them too long bc they will get hard.
    kgmmw

Answer by kgmmw at 10:11 AM on Sep. 29, 2011

• I am trying butterfly 1108's way will let you know how it works out.
    Jerichos_Mommy

Comment by Jerichos_Mommy (original poster) at 8:11 PM on Sep. 29, 2011

• So calculating what we thought we'd eat I did a batch of 7 the pan steaming method. I choose my largest pan as it was the only one tall enough to hold the. 4 ended up falling in the water and coming undone, either partly or all the way.

Later DH decided he wanted more so I did the rest up. This time I put a small amount of water in the largest pan, Then I put my next smaller pan with a little water centered into the first pan. I stood the tamales between the pans and moistened them with a little water. I turned it on high and covered the pan, when I heard it start boiling (rattleing) I turned it down and let it simmer 20 minutes. This time only one fell.

Jericho didn't like it, no suprise there. I had given both boys 1/2 a chicken and 1/2 a pork tamale each. Demetri tore both his halves up plus Jericho's Chicken and about 1/2 of his pork. He also had corn to eat.

Jerichos_Mommy

Comment by Jerichos_Mommy (original poster) at 9:52 PM on Sep. 29, 2011

• They weren't very spicy. Next time I think we'll get 2 dozen and one of the batchs deep fry as some on Smarter Living have suggested. Thanks everyone for your help.
    Jerichos_Mommy

Comment by Jerichos_Mommy (original poster) at 9:54 PM on Sep. 29, 2011