Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need info on Georgia foster care..

My hub and I tried to help out a coworker in late 2007. She was alone raising 2 kids and had one on the way. We moved her into our home when the baby was born. She told us she didn't have time to care for the baby, so we just did it. We kept her for 6 months and the mother even went to a notary and signed a paper giving us temp custody. When the baby was 6 months old, the mom moved to georgia with her, we are in tn. Now all 3 kids are in a foster home because the mom and her old man horribly abused and starved them. The man got prison, but the mom only got probation and Ga. says they have to give her a chance to prove she can mother these kids, we want the baby back, we raised her as our own for 6 months, but that state says there is nothin we can do, asnyone know of any options we may not know about?

Answer Question

Asked by lhuillier at 1:28 AM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Adoption

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • You can ask for temp custody or appeal to the mom to sign over the baby. Or even ask to be a foster family but highly unlikely since you are out of state. I hope you can get her. My sis had to go through a similar situation. But 9 out of 10 times they will give the kids back to mom after a while. GOOD LUCK!!

    Answer by lovinmomto3 at 1:39 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

  • I was in a similar situation however I did not have any legal right to this child - His mom always dropped the baby off with me. I loved this little boy as my very own. I had him all the time. The mom was do busy partying and basically did not want to be tied down with a child. One day without my knowledge social services took this little boy he was about a year old. This tore my heart out. I immediately called and asked for the baby to be placed with me. He knew me and I felt it would have been in the child's best interest. They refused to let me have him- telling me only immediate family could take him. I would need to get a foster care license which would take atleast six months. Thank God the grandmother stepped in and she took the child from foster care.

    Answer by Kellyjude1 at 10:02 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

  • If you still have the temp custody papers that might help you. Because if she signed the baby over to you then the baby didn't belong to her in first place. Or like a PP said have the mother give the baby to you.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 4:07 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

  • talk to the mom and see if she will allow you to adopt her.

    Answer by hopingforanange at 6:21 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Adoption
What do you think?

Next question overall (Trying to Conceive)
Could I be pregnant?