Has your toddler passed out from crying? HELP!

My DS is 26m. He has always been this way. He has had tests, and stuff done but he's healthy and normal. When he was born, he was tonge tied, they clipped it and his tonge looks normal.

-If DS crys longer than 15 minutes he will either throw up from the gag reflexes, or he'll passout from holding his breath. This is very hard for me and my parenting, because I don't want to upset him to the point where he cries or throws a tantrum, because he'll passout. (within 15 mintues. Sometimes it'll only take 5 minutes and he will pass out!!) Drs say nothings wrong, with his heart or anything.

I want to get him to sleep in his own bed, I want him to share his toys, I want to teach and redirect him him alot, but not to the point where he passes out.

I'm so lost!! I never thought paretning would be this hard.

RayJess31206

Asked by RayJess31206 at 10:52 AM on Sep. 29, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes, I have a child who passed out when he cried really hard too. It's SO scary, but he grew out of it. I had to catch him before he fell all the time. I think as far as discipline goes, you can't let this hold you back. Just make sure you stay consistant, and he will learn that even if he throws a fit (and passes out) he still won't get his way. Eventually he will quit throwing fits b/c he will realize they don't work. Good luck;)
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 10:58 AM on Sep. 29, 2011

• He's a breath holder and they tend to pass out. But it's not dangerous. It would be REALLY bad for you to allow him to have bad behavior because you are worried that he will cry till he passes out. He's healthy from what you said and the docs aren't worried. Don't give in to his tantrums. Make sure he's somewhere safe for when he passes out.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:56 AM on Sep. 29, 2011

• Ah, I nannied a boy who did that.

When you stop giving in to him, he'll learn not to do it because it's not working. Holding his breath is in no way dangerous.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:58 AM on Sep. 29, 2011

• My sister did that when she was little.... My Mom said that the Dr told her that she would grow out of it, and if she passed out that it wasn't going to hurt her. I understand your dilemma, and you don't want him to pass out, but maybe go about it in a different way, like making a game of it. Use a reward system. If he sleeps in his bed at naptime, then he gets a reward, then if he sleeps in it at night he gets more...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:59 AM on Sep. 29, 2011

• When my DD was young, she was a screamer, she screamed if I was out of her sight, she screamed if she didn't get her way, she screamed if you were talking to her and she didn't want you to. She would scream to the point of making herself throw up and pass out. She was never passed out for long, and as long as she was breathing, I didn't worry. I had her checked out at the doctor, nothing wrong with her, just temperamental. As soon as they pass out, their breathing returns to normal, and they will wake up after a few minutes, usually in a much better mood. We later learned with my DD, that she screamed because she was frustrated about not being able to express herself. Once she started talking clearly and in sentences at 15 months, most of her frustration was gone. She is a highly intelligent child (ranks in the 98th percentile for our state TAKS tests) and unfortunately, that is where a lot of her trouble came from. GL!
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 11:02 AM on Sep. 29, 2011

• Thanks everyone. He's always just passed out for a few seconds, but its always scary to think what if he doesnt wake back up, or stops breathing? I dont give into everything, usually once he catches on that i'm upset he'll stop. But he is frustrated all day long. He wants to do things that his uncle and dad does but he's just not big enough. Weekends are fine when my DH is home, but during the week when he doesnt have his daddy or uncle around he stays frustrated. He's always been like that though. He loves hanging with the guys!

Hopefully we'll get this under control. Hopefully as he gets older he won't stay so frustrated.

Thanks for feedback ladies!
    RayJess31206

Comment by RayJess31206 (original poster) at 11:23 AM on Sep. 29, 2011

• I agree with zakysmommy...it is from lack of oxygen. Mine won't pass out but my almost 3 year old can work herself up to the point of puking in less than 2 minutes. That gets ZERO attention from me. The more you feed into it, the longer it will last. They won't suffer lasting health effects from it, but "trying not to upset him" is teaching him...hey, this passing out, throwing up business is damn effective!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:30 AM on Sep. 29, 2011

• the throw up doesnt bother me,but seeing your child laying on the ground passed out is the scariest damn thing to see.
    RayJess31206

Comment by RayJess31206 (original poster) at 11:19 PM on Sep. 29, 2011