How long is to long??? And how do I know I'm not just been use???

I'm breast feeding but the baby seem to be attach to the breast for ever and often falls to sleep in it. Some times she is on that breast hours at a time. When she falls at sleep in it I pull the breast out, but she gets upset and starts crying. I think she is using my breast as pacifier to put herself to sleep. I'm confuse! For how long at a time is she supposed to be in the breast? And what am Isuposed to do when she starts crying and fuzzing around? I honestly think that if my baby could sleep with my breast in her mouth all night long she will...lol
I need help; all of this is getting me frustrated and I have opted to give her formula from time to time to supply whatever she is missing.

GodPRKitty

Asked by GodPRKitty at 1:51 AM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I doubt she's missing anything, I too think she's using you as her pacifier. My daughter was the same way. You could opt to use a paci, or remove her from your breast and lay her down, it's a good opportunity for her to learn to soothe herself to sleep.

Oh, and it is ok to supplement with formula while breastfeeding, I would talk to your ped to see if she needs the supplement though. If she's gaining weight, and has wet diapers, and stools, then she's probably just fine, and it's a comfort thing.

Good Luck!!
    maggerralla

Answer by maggerralla at 2:00 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• how old is she. some kids will use the breast as a pacificer. have you tried giving her one.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 1:54 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I would try to get some "face plugs" (thats what my hubby calls them) and when she is done eating put one in her mouth. That and its not good to let her get attached to your brest like that. Or so I was told. I was alos told its bad to mix breast and formula milk. So you should probably just stick to one or the other.
    russian-mommy

Answer by russian-mommy at 1:54 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I doubt she is missing anything, most likely she is just use to sleeping with it in her mouth. Take from me very hard to break. There is a pacy you can get at walmart it is green forget what it is called but looks like a bottle nipple and has a vanilla scent/taste. Spray yourself (not breast) with some vanilla perfum and she will get use to smelling it and the scent from the pacy will comfort her. Thinking you are close.
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 1:55 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• She is one month old...
    GodPRKitty

Answer by GodPRKitty at 1:58 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• At a month old they just love mommy! I would start to give her a pacy though. My daughter decided to not take a pacy or bottle and she's 4 months...and yes its frustrating. And if you want to breastfeed do not give her formula. Your milk will start to dwindle...good luck!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:02 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• our ped. told me DO NOT let him use me as a pacifier. He said 15-20 min? on each breast and THAT'S it- anything longer and you're being "used" (double check that time limit with your ped. because I'm not positive on it!) He said just feed the baby for X amount of time each few hours- and soon the baby will learn that when he is being offered food- he will eat.
    But lets face it YOU NEED YOUR SANITY! Try other options as well for your baby & you. Give her a pacifier- they do help reduce SIDS so it's a good thing to have anyhow- and you'll be able to rest more not having her "on you" all day.
    Also check into a breast pump. You can get one from a local WIC office or call the hospital and speak with a lactation consultant- they will most likely have pumps on hand to rent- and if they don't they will be able to get you in contact with a business that does!
    Kristi_c_0504

Answer by Kristi_c_0504 at 2:11 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• i would do what Kristi said...
    that is great advice! all of it!
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 2:46 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Yep ditto on kristi's post...but I'd like to add that she could just be a sleepy baby and switching sides as soon as she starts to fall asleep can help keep her awake long enough to get a good nursing session in. She could be crying when you took her off because she wasn't full or finished. You might have to switch sides a few times during each feeding...my son did the same thing! and he wouldn't take a paci until 3 mos!
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 3:00 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• My guy's favorite way to fall asleep is with a boob in his mouth, then he snuggles up underneath, LOL. I had to start slipping a pacifier in as I pulled the boob out. After doing that for a week or so, he was cool with me taking away the boob. Now keeping him asleep when putting him down to sleep is another story...but we got through that as well! Good luck!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:13 AM on Jan. 3, 2009