Why?

Why do I need to trust my doctor explicitly? I have noticed that is the advice more often than not... listen to your doctor or call your doctor... that or "my doctor said it is safe, so it must be."
Is this how you feel?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 AM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Health

• I see what you are saying. Like why does everything a dr say have to be the right way. Well I don't really think so. Like some will tell ya that you start baby food at 6mths some at 12 and some 3mths. And I guess it doesn't help that I have personally been screwed by a dr. Long story, anyways, I guess ppl say that cause they would hate for you to have something really wrong with you and you went off of there advice explicitly. Ya know. So sometimes it is better to get a drs OPINION. B/c that is what drs do they give there opinions to do what we should or they think we need to do. Have you ever beeen to a hospital where they didn't make you sign a paper saying it was there decision. We inevitibly have the choice to go off there experience and knowledge. Hope that helps.
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 2:11 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I am sorry, I don't think that I really understand your question.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 2:07 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• No. I hated my doctor. I felt that he continually withheld information from me, and he was generally an all-around jack@ss.
    Live4HerSmile

Answer by Live4HerSmile at 2:08 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I think I trust my doctor more then the medical advice of people on here. I'm sure that when people give advice they are truly trying to be helpful, but I'd rather follow the doctors orders then someone who has no medical training.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 2:08 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• no. I believe my doctor has special training and I listen to his advise but if his advice dosen't work or I feel he wasn't truely listening then it is my responsibility as a health care consumer to research and look for other answers. I think often we say that here because we do not know the whole story someone says my kid has a fever of 102. I might say give tylenol but the doctor may notice a high pitched cry or a rash that the mom here didn't know might be important.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 2:09 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• In addition to my previous answer I do think that you don't have too 100% trust your doctor you have the right to a second opinion as well as as thinking outside of what the doctor says and question them on things that seem iffy to you
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 2:09 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• If you are sitting here asking on CafeMom for medical advice, isn't it just as easy to start searching the internet?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• No I do not always trust the doctor, infact I recently took my little girl in and literally agrued with the doctor and told him he was wrong. However when someone comes on here asking for medical advice, I do refer them to their docs. They know more about the medical history and may be able to see something that we are not aware of.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 2:10 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Ok, I am starting to understand the question.

As a nurse I double check almost everything my doctors say or prescribe and I have found some big errors. Just during this pregnancy my family doctor prescribed a medication that is known to cause birth defects. Of course I double checked my medication book before taking and found the error.

I am not so sure that the women on here are asking such serious medical questions that they are crazy. Us mommies know enough to not give a baby aspirin or to overdose on tylenol. Most of what you get here when a serious medical question is asked is a suggestion to call your doctor.

I have noticed many women doing the double check of what their doctor says on here, what is wrong is that?
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 2:15 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I am one of those who suggests people call their doctor because when someone has a health concern they should talk to their doctor. If they do not agree with what the doctor says then they should seek out a second opinion, from a doctor who is not likely to have a relationship with your current doctor. If both doctors say pretty much the same thing then you can probably trust the doctors advice (I personally ask lots of questions of my doctor), but if your 'gut feeling' says they are wrong then get a third opinion. If the doctors are not in agreement then you need to discuss the diagnosis with each doctor including what the other diagnosis was, and consider getting a third opinion.
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 2:20 AM on Jan. 3, 2009