My puppy follows me everywhere? good or bad?

We have 3 dogs but the youngest who is almost 6 months will rarely let me out of her sight... if i get up and go to a diff room she will follow me and lay near me and go to sleep if i leave again she does the same thing... if i go to the bathroom and close the door she whines... and waits at the door til i get out... she always lays with me when i watch tv .. i am not sure what to think of it other than she really likes me or something... our other dog always follows our son but doesnt get fussy about it i think she just likes to check on him or something ... what do you think?

jaksonsmommy

Asked by jaksonsmommy at 3:19 PM on Sep. 29, 2011 in Pets

• I consider it to be a good thing. She loves you and probably feels that she is protecting you.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 3:26 PM on Sep. 29, 2011

• You are the alpha ~
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:16 PM on Sep. 29, 2011

• It's good and bad, the bad aspect being she could develop serious separation anxiety and act out if she is left alone. She is still young so it may get better when she's older or you can try teaching her that it's ok for her to be alone - there are some helpful hints you can find by searching online. It may also take time since I have a 1 year old dog that still has some separation anxiety - he doesn't act out by chewing or damaging things anymore but he still whines so he is getting better about me leaving him.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 4:57 PM on Sep. 29, 2011

• its good.. your alpha, and if a puppy likes to wonder they have a bigger chance of getting into stuff, pottying in home..
    My lab (1yr) does this to me, we got him when he was 6mo... He has never whined though. When I shut the bathroom door he will just lay against it until I get out.. Even in the middle of the night if I get up to get a drink or pee, he will get up and follow me...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:14 PM on Sep. 29, 2011

• Both of my dogs follow me everywhere. They recognize me as the alpha. They know I am the one who feeds them, takes them out, and I'm with them all day. Only problem I had with it was when they were younger. They would try to jump on my lap when I was going potty, lol!
    tracy0812

Answer by tracy0812 at 4:08 AM on Sep. 30, 2011

• It sounds to me that your dog is beginning to develop seperation anxiety which is bad. You may want to begin training your dog to sustain without you being around because it will only increase if the behavior is not addressed immediately. Dogs will follow an alpha, but will not whine when separated by a door. Dogs need to understand the alpha needs their space and they will respect that.
    kittydwhiption

Answer by kittydwhiption at 11:06 AM on Sep. 30, 2011

• I have a Chi/Yorkie that has always followed me every where i go- i don't see any Bad in it..

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 10:23 PM on Sep. 30, 2011

• I dont know for sure, but I think is a good thing. It means the pup loves, trust, and/or respect you.
    Hannah_Depp

Answer by Hannah_Depp at 11:25 AM on Oct. 2, 2011