How to change his mind?

Is it hard being a foster parent

momil

Asked by momil at 2:27 AM on Jan. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• Of course it is hard, but it can also be rewarding. If both your hearts are not in it you shouldn't do it. I was in foster care as a child, and I can tell you that homes that were not united were awful to live in. I want to do foster care, hubby doesn't, so chances are we won't, I can still help those children in other ways, I can volunteer, become a big sister, mentor, etc. Good luck.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 2:30 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I'm assuming you mean that your SO isn't interested in taking on a foster child, but you would like to? I feel your pain - I've always had a heart for that, but my hubby says he just doesn't have it in him. And I think taking on a foster child is just the same as deciding to have another child - you both need to be ALL IN or you just don't do it. You wouldn't be doing a service to that child or to your marriage/family if you did it any other way.
    owensmom17

Answer by owensmom17 at 2:31 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• My parents have been doing foster care for probably 10 years now. Infact, they just got a 8yo little boy in thier home a few days after Christmas. Foster Parents are crucial this time of year. It IS hard being a foster parent mainly because of the attachment. But you have to remember that these kids need somewhere to go, someone to depend on. These kids didnt deserve what ever reason being without thier parents so they need someone that can care for them, to be there for them. Its hard but its well worth the effort. My hubby and I plan on going through all the nessisary classes to become foster parents in the future, when our kiddos are a little bit older. Good Luck
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 2:34 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I would say it's very hard, no matter what these kids parents have done to them...all they care about is getting back home and some will do anything to get there. It can also be very rewarding. If your husband is having 2nd thoughts I would look for a private agency and ask about doing respite care. You can do it as much or as little as you want but it's usually one weekend a month. Then your not obligated to take any children for a long period of time and he can see if this is something he's willing to want to do. He's got to be on board with you! You'll just have the kids so their original foster parents can take a little break. My husband and I were going to do this and then I got pregnant and decided to hold of and take care of my own child. PM me for more info!
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 2:47 AM on Jan. 3, 2009