Help...first and only child in family....she refuses to even try and sit on toilet.

I've been off and on to try and get my little girl to start using the potty but she quickly jumps off the seat like she sat in needles....any suggestions to try and get her to stay....any suggestions on the whole potty training deal....as my first I'm so lost in this department...Help Ladies out there....please share your success stories with me.....Thanks for taking the time to helping me out....very much appreciated!

mysweetgirl76

Asked by mysweetgirl76 at 2:35 AM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i say bribe her with a treat if she does it or maybe shes just not ready yet ... she has to go eventually
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:38 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Take her in with you when you go, show her it is not a bad thing. Do you have a toilet ring, one that makes the hole not so big? That helped with mine, they were afraid of falling in. You can also try the little potty seats that play music when she goes potty. Try reading her a book while she is up there. Don't be afraid to hold her hand while she is up there, sometimes that is encouragement enough.

You may have tried some of these, but they are just suggestions that came to mind right off the bat. I have potty trained 5, 3 of mine and 2 of someone elses, only 1 didn't like the potty.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 2:40 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• My daughter isn't at that age yet but my sister would give her daughter a book to read or look at. The first time she went on the potty was at 1 years old but she was ready to get on the big girl potty she hated her diapers
    momil

Answer by momil at 2:45 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• my son was 3 when we finally got him potty trained..but the fact of the matter was..we had to just put him in underwear all the time till he got tired of peeing on himself
    listorlou

Answer by listorlou at 3:00 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I can tell you what worked for me. My son, 2 at the time, would not even consider going on the potty. But we talked about it on a daily basis. I included him in my bathroom visit (disturbing at first). I left him naked after bath time for extended periods untill he asked to put the diaper back on.a few months later when I started to think he was going to just stay in diapers forever I just decided to see what would happen if I refused to put diapers on him that day. He said okay and has'nt looked back since. He is 2 1/2 now and only wears night diapers. He loves feeling like he achieved something. he tells me daily how he doesn't need diapers, he's a big boy. So just keep at it. Eventually she will know you mean business. Its not like she will wear diapers to the prom right?! hee hee hee
    missv66

Answer by missv66 at 8:00 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• how old is she? i promise you, she won't wear diapers forever. don't rush her. she'll figure it out. It took a year and a half to get my oldest trained. Just try to be patient.
    SashaJ

Answer by SashaJ at 9:37 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• she may not be ready yet. I take my dd in the bathroom with me and she watches. I havent' pushed her at all. now she sits on the potty and pulls her pants down but doesn't actually go potty. do you have a potty chair? try taking that out in the play area and encourage her to read on it or sit to watch tv or play. Once she's used to sitting on it for longer periods of time, then try to introduce potty again. i've been putting dd on the potty before bathtime w/o clothing on. She doesn't go, but she will sit there for a second or two. Just getting her used to the idea of sitting on the potty w/o a diaper. you can also try to put the potty seat on the big toilet so she can't get down as easily/quickly.
    Anonymous

• How old is she... in MONTHS? There is a big difference between a 24 month old, a 30 months old, and a 35 months old - but all are "2".

My daughter was the same way for a long time. I waited and didn't push but just sat her on the potty every once in a while to see what she would do. One day she stayed. That's when I started training. She was 27 months.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:31 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I bribed mine with fake tattoos.  But she will go potty at her daycare and not at home. She has pottied for me only two times at home and she will do it at least that much at daycare. But she knows she gets a tattoo every time she goes potty. So she will pretend to go potty flush "mommy's" toliet come with the I DID IT smile and say tattoo. Then I go check and she didn't. So I am at a loss as of what to do too..

takodasmom1117

Answer by takodasmom1117 at 1:14 AM on Jan. 4, 2009