When do kids start leaving behind the comfort item?

My daughter is eight and a half years old and has been sleeping with the same stuffed toy since she was 6 months old and she still sucks her thumb when she does it. She doesn't suck her thumb too much anymore. She only does it in front of family at home or if the family goes overnight somewhere; but still it drives my boyfriend and his grown kids nuts! I also slept with a comfort item till I was a teenager so I don't know what to do.

blue_glass_mama

Asked by blue_glass_mama at 2:52 AM on Jan. 3, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would allow her to have her comfort item for as long as she wants. There is nothing wrong with it whatsoever and other people just need to get over it and leave her alone about it.

Thumbsucking, on the other hand, can be a problem. It can push her teeth out of alignment and cause her to need braces. Have her checked by the dentist to see if this is a problem for her. Either way, she should be "weaned" off the thumb.

Give her hugs from me - she sounds like a sweet and precious child.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:41 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• none of my children had a specific comfort item, however, my sil is 25 and still sucks her thumb!!
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 3:09 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• my dd has her "blanket", she finally started leaving it behind recently... she is 11. it's not like she took it to school or anything, but for overnights or trips she did. why does it drive the family crazy? it's really not a big deal... she will leave it behind eventually.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 4:09 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Is this little girl your boyfriends child? If not ~ Tell your boyfriend to mind his own business. So what if your little girl sleeps with a comfort item. There are many other things in life that are more important that your boyfriend and his older kids should be worried about. The thumb thing, well I would talk with the doctor about that. From what I understand sucking your thumb when your older has to do with your nerves and comforting yourself. Check with the doctor and or counselor to help with that problem. Remember you only have ONE of your little girl. She needs to be your main concern, not what your boyfriend and his kids think.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 8:45 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I think it is fine. My kids still have one item from childhood that they sleep with. They are 12, 10, and 7. Maybe you should talk to your BF and see why it bothers him so much. If she is only using it at home or when she sleeps over somewhere then I am not sure I see the problem.

I would not try taking it away from her because it is comfort to her and she might have a hard time sleeping if you take it away.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:12 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• My son still has a favorite blanket that goes wherever he goes and he will be 9 in March. He had a white one that became a piece and now this blue one that is very similar. He takes it on sleepovers and when he broke his arm with my friend because he had it with him he was alot calmer in the hospital.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 11:36 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Thumbsucking...a problem that needs to be broken because it will mess her teeth up. Sleeping with a stuffed animal...no problem. I don't see why you would want to take it away from her unless it was gross.
    My 8 1/2 yo has her favorite stuffed animals but she isn't super attached to them any more. My 7yo son has his doll, Boomer, that he's had since he was a month old and still sleeps with him but can go without. My 6yo daughter, though, big time attached to her blanket and her stuffed dog and can't sleep without them. She cries and cries if she doesn't have her blanket (like when I'm washing it). My 2yo doesn't have any lovies.
    I slept with a big stuffed rabbit into my mid 20s. It was very comforting. Then it got lost when we moved. I miss him.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:39 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• tell your bf and his kids to MIND THEIR BIZ. THat it is TOTALLY NORMAL and everyone needs comfort.
    I actually still have my tigger and sleep with it at times, I also had it with me when giving birth to both my kids. I didn't even get it until I was 13 and the reason I got it was b/c I felt the need to have something to hold when I was upset.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 6:39 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I'm 32 years old and still sleep with my blankey. I'm pretty sure I've grown into a well-adjusted woman! :) My dd is 5 and she has a blankey too...she doesn't drag it everywhere anymore, but still sleeps with it at night. I see nothing wrong with it. Why is it a problem?
    Anonymous

• My daughter who is 5, has a blanket that she has had since birth. I allow her to take it in the car with her but no where else (unless we visiting family). She is very attached to it. I am definitely okay with her keeping it around forever. As long as she understands it's boundaries.
    Ariellesmomma

Answer by Ariellesmomma at 12:04 AM on Jan. 4, 2009