what can I do to get to sleep?

I have been up now since thursday at 8 am it is now saturday 2am. I tried to sleep last night just couldn't tonight I tried. got up took some tylenol pm tried to sleep again. still up. what the heck is going on I am wide awake still

Lyndall

Asked by Lyndall at 3:03 AM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Health

• Well you are starting to get to the point that it is getting dangerous. I don't have any suggestions since I too am taking tylenol pm, benedryl, and sleepy time tea to just get a few hours of sleep.

I suggest that you call your doctor on call soon, they may actually send you to the ER if you don't get some snoozing in.

I am a nurse and I can tell you that it is very concerning that you have been up for so long.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 3:07 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Yes very dangerous to go without sleep. They equal it to being drunk - reaction wise so please don't drive! I would put a call into the Dr.'s as suggested above. Somethings got to be wrong. Have you had anythign happen to you to make you not sleep? For instance I was road raged (guy attacked me) and I couldn't sleep for months. Nothing more than an hour at a time then I was wide awake. Not even prescrip meds would help me. It was all anxiety. Took almost a year to get rid of it and still I have problems - hence me being up so late now LOL. What helps me -even thou the meds didn't was getting some Lavender Essential Oil and massaging some on my feet & put it on my pillow case & in my hair. That way the scent stays close where I'm inhaling it while I sleep. It does really help you relax so maybe you can go to sleep. I hope you get to sleep soon as your body cannot function with out it. Bless you!
    Luvmycolliesx2

Answer by Luvmycolliesx2 at 3:31 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• You should get some sleeping pills because you are at the point where you really NEED sleep.  I find camomile tea at bedtime is very good for helping me sleep so you could try that once you get back into a natural rhythm.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:17 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Better she your doctor. It isn't normal for you to be awake like that. Your body is in overdrive and there is a cause. Once you determine that, you will sleep. Don't put it off.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 8:32 AM on Jan. 3, 2009