home hair dying?

what products do you recommend? and is it better than going to a salon, i know its cheaper but is it better?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 AM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• I just got my hair dyed from blonde to brown and I went to a salon, because I'm too scared of the risk that it would have not come out brown it would have been pink or purple.
    HollyRose

Answer by HollyRose at 3:16 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• alot of the times it is better doing it at your house and buying your own product because not only are you saving but alot of the times at the salon they use the cheapest hair dye's that ruin your hair! so as there scaming you there ruining you! If you want your hair shiny and not so damaged and a good price I recommend fructis Garnier, its all natural and leaves your hair very shiny all month, the only bad thing with that one is that it comes off after 28 shampoos sometimes...Loreal Excellence is also a good one and so is loreal preference I use those almost all the time, not only are they permant they cover gray and leave your hair looking really shiny:)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:22 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• If you have a Sally's Beauty Supply, go there and talk to some of the people who work there, they can really help recommend some products for your hair, the issues you have (gray, coarse, curly, straight, etc).
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 4:07 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I have more than 30 years experience working in a salon. The number one corrective service in the salon is hair color. I disagree with Anonymous 3:22 - salons use the highest quality products. Another thing about going to a beauty supply store such as Sally's - many of the clerks that work in beauty supply do not have any education in the beauty business.
    My advice is to have it done at a salon.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 7:23 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Have it done at a salon. Many times, the color on the box of the home coloring is NOT the color your hair will turn out to be and if you do it often enough, you might end up with some funky color. Your natural hair is comprised of various tones - greens, blues, reds - and if you put the wrong color on that conflicts with your tone, you may end up with a totally different color (and possibly a horrible one). A trained professional will know the right "mixture" of color to achieve the color you want on your hair. I get my hair colored every 6-8 weeks by a professional and while it's more expensive than home stuff, I consider it my pampering away from everyday life and so I splurge a bit.
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 8:30 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I have used both the salon and box hair coloring. The salon does over price their services and I get so many more compliments on my hair with the box hair coloring for about $7.00 compared to the $85.00 that I spend at the salon. I recommend L'Oreal in the pink/peach colored box. Over the years the products have greatly improved. Good Luck!
    Rose1140

Answer by Rose1140 at 1:40 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• anon 3:22..i'd like to know what you call 'cheapest hair dyes'...my expense receipts for haircolor product ALONE is in the $4000+range/year. i don't consider that cheap!
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 1:59 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• The gal that does my hair, Crystal Lax, is AWESOME. She does a great job on my hair. I have 4 colors in my hair, and NONE of it looks dry, frizzy, or fried. I have 4 very distinct colors, too - dark chocolate brown, light brown, platinum blond and crayola red. I have never paid more than $50 to get all four colors done with a hair cut included. Plus I can't see the back of my head, so there's no way I could ever do it myself. LOL Not even with a mirror, I can't figure out which way to move my arms and hands in reverse!

I think it depends on the salon with the quality of products. If you're talking someone working out of a basement or kitchen, then probably you're not getting top of the line. The salons that have colored my hair all use Paul Mitchell or Goldwell or Redkin products. One used Aveda, but I'm not sure if they have color.

Anyway, hope that helps!
    Ms.Melanie

Answer by Ms.Melanie at 3:13 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Coloraing your hair at home is a lot cheaper than a salon,and a good idea if you already know what colors work for you and you are sticking to just one color. If you're trying to do highlights or numerous colors, then you are much better off going to a salon. I went to a salon once to have 4 colors put in mhy hair and a haircut and it ended up costing me almost $200 (including the tip.) Of course, my hair was to the middle of my back at the time and also very thick. I always dye it at home now, as I am sticking to just one color.
    Dark_Princess_2

Answer by Dark_Princess_2 at 4:09 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• it really depends on your hair. personally, i use the cheap revlon hair dye, but as for going from a really dark color to a really light color, use garnier fructis or herbal essences bleaching kits. and it depends on how good you are at self dying your hair as opposed to going to a salon. i have always dyed my hair at home, but people are different
    chaotickaiden

Answer by chaotickaiden at 9:19 PM on Jan. 3, 2009