What to do when umbilical cord falls off?

My son's umbilical finally fell off last night!! It's been 2 weeks & i thought it would never happen lol. Anyway it looks like theres dried blood sitting in his belly button. What should i do? Am i supposed to clean it? Should i continue to clean around the belly button area with alcohol?
How long do we need to wait before puttin him in the tub? Thanks!!

Preciaann

Asked by Preciaann at 9:57 PM on Sep. 29, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Leave it be. Once it dries, bathe away!
    tnunley

Answer by tnunley at 9:58 PM on Sep. 29, 2011

• You can clean it, and you can put him in the tub anytime now that his cord is off. If he has a nice long soak, it will soften the gunk in his belly button so it's easier to clean. With my second son, his belly button bled just a tiny bit for about a week after the cord fell out, and I guess that's not uncommon. Good luck, and congratulations!!!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 9:59 PM on Sep. 29, 2011

• I agree dont mess with it you could ris infection just let it dry all up and i know its probably gonna bother you a litle but once its all dried up go ahead and give him a bath
    sabrinaford0911

Answer by sabrinaford0911 at 10:00 PM on Sep. 29, 2011

• You are supposed to take a Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol & clean the area around the belly button every day until the dried blood is gone. If there is any dried blood inside the edges of the belly button then gently swab inside too. You need to remove any dried blood or else it could cause an infection. That is what I did after speaking to my Pediatrician at the babies 5 day visit.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:12 PM on Sep. 29, 2011

• Clean it off, just for F's sake, don't keep the damn cord. BLECH.
    southernbelletx

Answer by southernbelletx at 10:13 PM on Sep. 29, 2011

• Lol...southernbelle...I have kept all of mine even though I think it is nasty too. I can't part with them. They're in a baggie in my jewelry box and every time I see them I think "god I'm gross"...but I will probably never throw them out.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:23 PM on Sep. 29, 2011

• LOL! I can keep the teeth...but a little stump of dried out yuck? To each her own.
    southernbelletx

Answer by southernbelletx at 10:46 PM on Sep. 29, 2011