i dont know what to do anymore, husband is addicted to live videogames!

today he has played for 11 hours straight and he plays everysingle day, is there anything i could do to make him think of the damage he is causing? or is anyone going through the same thing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:23 AM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Relationships

• Ugh.... now you got me started! Mine played WOW for 33 hours in a 48 hour period when he had off two days this week.

On his working days he plays games with others online from the moment he gets home to the moment that he goes to bed.

There were times that he had seemed to be out of reality and could not focus on anything else.

Even with all of this, I am a lucky girl when it comes to game addicts. The moment I ask him to do something, he will get off the game and do it... even if he dies in the game or his friends get pissed.

He is also there for his child and me. If he would not be then I would probably leave his ass and he knows it.

I have no advice for you but I do have empathy AND sympathy.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 4:33 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• well he would even dare to beat whoever stands in front of tv if he looses he gets so pissed he doesnt care if its me hes hurting!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:37 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I went though this my hubby would not leave the house other than go to work in fear of getting bombed! IT drove me insane we would go over to familys and the first thing that would come out of this mouth is wheres your comp. not hi ,how are you ,give me a hug ,or anything nice.He needs a slower game probbly one he does'nt have to worry about as much,theres on called The WEST try it he might like it it has really helped me at least we can leave the house now.If you wish you can message me to talk more about this.o and another called tribal wars
    kim168

Answer by kim168 at 5:54 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Holy heck.......

No advice, just major sympathy.

Try reminding him that he's a grownup? Or just realize you're basically a single parent?
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 7:01 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Video addiction is just as real as drug addictions!!!! This isn't just a past time. Start to research video addiction. You first have to help yourself understand it and why you put up with it---if he were drunk instead of on the video game--you may not be so accepting. Addiction destroys families--whatever the addiction may be......

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Ladies I have the answer you are all looking for! You all know how expensive these gaming stations are now don't you? Now wouldn't it be a shame if say something happened internally to his precious lil baby nothing externally obvious like throwing it down the stairs, next practice "hum guess you just burned it up using it too much!" If he goes and buys another one wait a week or two do same to it. There is just a few screws on the back take off the plastic housing and take something that looks like you can break it without it being obvious and put it back together just as u took it apart. I know this works ;-) to bad we can't afford another one! HAHAHAHHA! He thinks I'm to stupid to think of anything that brillant!
    1countrygal

Answer by 1countrygal at 2:07 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• girl when I first bought my fiancee a Xbox 360 its all he ever did if hes getting obsessed with a game then you need to remind him that thats not life. I got so irritated with my fiancee one day that I went over unplugged the game system and dropped it outside, yes he was mad but I made him look me in the eyes and I told him "I'm sorry thats what you want to do all day, but you can't and I will take Allyson and I will leave if you do not understand that." But the thing is you have to go through with it if you say it so he told me he was sorry and now he will play it sometimes but after the baby goes to sleep
    HollyRose

Answer by HollyRose at 3:08 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• The best eye-opener, leave. About the first time he asks you to bring him a drink and you aren't there, he will have more appreciation for you.
    Anonymous

• My husband plays a live game a lot too. It used to bother me quite a bit, becaues he would come home from work and the first thing he did was go down to the office and plug into the game. But, we talked about it, talked about appropriate times for playing and the importance of having dinner together as a family. He did great with that; and would wait until the kids went to bed before he started gaming. Then I got irritated that I didn't get any quality time with him. So, we talked about that too -- he got me my own version of the game and we started playing a couple nights a week together. The other nights we sit down for a movie or do something together when the kids are asleep. But, he still gets his gaming in -- and gets to enjoy it, and now I understand a little better why he likes it so much.

But, I would say talking about it is the best place to start.

MommaFoot

Answer by MommaFoot at 3:40 PM on Jan. 3, 2009