Do you have a gun in your home?

I was watching the news this morning about a 3 yr old who died because he was playing with his dads gun and shot his self. So sad :( So I was curious how many people have guns in their homes, and what they do to keep them safe away from their children.

smnice

Asked by smnice at 7:05 AM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• We have always had guns in the house, and the children were taught from birth that guns were tools, how to use them, and NOT to touch them without adult supervision. A lot of it is taking the "mystery" out of the gun, so children are no more interested in playing with a gun than in playing with anything else commonly around the house that could hurt them if they played with it(Like a blender or something). There have been instances of children as young as 6 years old wounding or killing intruders who were holding the parent helpless in the home, and saving the lives of possibly the whole family because they knew how and when to handle a gun. Now nobody WANTS our children to ever have to do something like this, but we need to know that they CAN. A gun that is unloaded and locked away is safe from the children, but it is no protection to anyone at all.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 8:41 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Yes, we have several.
    My husband keeps them unloaded and locked away. When we are not at home the room gets locked.
    Carrying weapon(s) is part of his job so there is no getting around having one in the home. Our two oldest daughters (ages 20 and 17) have been taught how to handle a weapon and have practiced at the firing range.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:09 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I feel so bad about the 3 y/o. I know the parent(s) are really hurting over his death and the fact that they weren't more careful about locking their weapon away. There was no need for a loaded weapon to be lying around where a 3 y/o could get to it. Poor little thing.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:10 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• We don't have our own personal gun, but my mom has a handgun and my stepdad has a rifle that he keeps by his bed (he's a little paranoid).

I personally don't think they practice gun safety at all. Just imagine if one of my nieces (my daughter is a newborn, she can't go anywhere that I don't take her lol) went upstairs and played with Pawpaw's shotgun. Ughhh. I don't even like the thought of it. When I was a kid, my grandparents and my parents had guns...but they were mounted on the wall above the door where I absolutely couldn't touch them until I was a teenager (I wasn't tall enough lol). Gun safety is a MUST if you have little kids around : /
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:43 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• We have a gun in th home and our children know its there and know what to do about it. They don't touch it since it is in our gun safe and unloaded and locked.
    Tayandstevenmom

Answer by Tayandstevenmom at 7:51 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• We don't have a gun, but there are times, lately, when I wished we did with the way the world is headed. Our neighborhood used to be a nice, quiet place, but lately, we have been getting a lot of the inner city thugs coming here to create havoc and crime and it would be nice to have some sort of protection if need be. Luckily, I have a 15 year old who is very responsible, now, and I think a gun would be just fine to keep. Of course, I would have all of us attend a gun safety class because it's the right thing to do when becoming a gun owner.
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 7:53 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Yes we have guns, they are locked in a gun safe unloaded, bullets are in a different safe also locked. Both of these are in the office, which we keep locked unless my husband or I are in there.
    PeytonNBella

Answer by PeytonNBella at 8:23 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• We have 11 guns (rifles, shotguns, hand guns) and they are always unloaded and locked in the safe. I make dh show me that they are unloaded when he comes back in the house with them from hunting. Our girls with take gun safety courses when they are old enough, but until then they are repeatedly told/reminded that they are to never touch a gun and what could happen if they did.
    scrapbookmylife

Answer by scrapbookmylife at 8:24 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• we have3 for hunting and the bullets are put up away from kids! the guns are on a high rack in my bedroom.
    kim168

Answer by kim168 at 8:37 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• yes i do i have a 22 pistol its unloaded and on top of the mirror thats on my dresser my arent to go in my room not for anything so its safe plus its so high up you cant see it
    sharonrosen3

Answer by sharonrosen3 at 8:41 AM on Jan. 3, 2009