should i call cp need advice

we went to a freinds apt last night and her little cousin has a new born who was born on xmas day so she is only 1 week old she is only 15 (which i dont have a problem with ) and she brought her up for little bit and then went downstiars and left her dd down there and came back up... well she told us a lillater that NOONE was down there with her child.. it wasnt like she just came up for a short minute she was up there for about 2hrs and leaft her newborn dd downstairs in her apt she didnt see a problem with this cuz her apt was locked, know she was just upstairs but she did not have monitor with her or anything, my freind told her she needed to go get her but she just said "dont tell me how to raise my baby"
i know shes just a young girl and maybe doesnty understand but i dont think its very safe.. should i call or give her hcance or just butt out? NEED ADVICE!!!

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 7:08 AM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe there is some department of CPS you could call. Explain the situation. Suggest that she just needs some education, not that she necessarily needs to have the baby taken away. But let someone in authority make that decision. I'm also wondering where HER mother is, like the other poster. Although if she got pregnant at 14 or 15, her mother may not be much better! But she obviously needs to learn the seriousness of the situation. Okay, so she doesn't want to listen to her cousin, or you, but if she also won't listen to the authorities, maybe the baby should be taken away. There is no place for attitude when the safety of your helpless baby is concerned. Who knows what other poor decision she's made, or will make, if no one steps in. She's only 15, she sure doesn't know it all. None of us does! Even at 25, 35, 45, etc. We can all still learn. The sooner she learns that, the better off she and her baby will be
    crazywith4

Answer by crazywith4 at 10:07 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I would give her a little longer, try unsuspiciously checking up on her somehow again sometime, spend some time with her again and see how it goes. I don't think you should jump to CP right away, and we all know with a newborn you really don't need a monitor you can hear them whereever you are in your house, well i know i could. But i'd definetly keep an eye on her and see how things go in the future, she's sounds very "i'm a teen i know everything" right now, which may put her lil one in danger with that kind of attitude.
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 7:12 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• She needs to learn some manners.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 7:31 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Personally, I would call. Even a teenager knows a baby shouldn't be left along like that and if she's taking chances like that, I'd be scared to know what else she thinks is acceptable. It doesn't take much for a fire to start or the baby to pull something like a blanket over it's face... It's not about giving the mom a second chance, it's about the safety of the baby. And its not like CPS will just swoop in and take the baby, they'll work with her to establish safe parenting skills.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 7:52 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• From what it sounds like she left her baby in her own apartment while she was in someone else's apartment, which is very wrong. If someone were to leave their one-week-old baby in a house by themselves for 2 hours they could be arrested for child endangerment.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:13 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• the question really is...Where is HER mother? at 15 her mother should be helping her make good parenting decisions..altho when i had my first at 15 you couldnt get me to put her down and leave her ANYWHERE. much less a whole other apartment by itsself.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 8:49 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• i'm sorry. i would honestly do something about it. she sounds too immature to be a mom if she left that baby alone for that long. my question is why did your friend or anyone NOT ask where the baby was?? Now what if she left the oven on or her straightner and caught the apartment on fire.. that poor baby wouldn't even have a chance. OR what if she spit up/threw up and choked on that? she could die. something needs to be done because its obvious SHE is too young to take care of a baby. That is just ridiculous. BTW who does she live with? IF she's only 15 she cant live alone
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 9:02 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Being young is not an excuse to endanger a child. Think about it...I'm 25 and I would expect that if I left my newborn unattended for 2 hours that I would have CPS called on me. It doesn't sound like shes up for any advice either...doesn't leave you a lot of options.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:14 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I agree with mommyaddie.
    debj49

Answer by debj49 at 10:03 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I would call child protection. It would be better for her to learn her lesson from some forced parenting classes, than by coming home to find a dead baby. Just ask yourself, could you live with yourself if you don't call and something happens?
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 10:27 AM on Jan. 3, 2009