is it legal to watch movies online?

internet

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:32 AM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Entertainment

• I believe it's very illegal, unless you pay the website to view the movie.

Even then, I believe it's a copyright infringement to "distribute" movies to the masses without permission.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:40 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• We watch them online w/the netflix service - I would assume that is legal.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 7:46 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I think it might be, but as long as you don't download them then I don't think you can get into trouble. You can listen to music online without getting into trouble, its when you download them without paying when people get pissy. I watch lots of movies online. I don't have time to go to the movies, so I'll watch them online. Or my favorite TV shows that I always seem to miss. The site that I use all the time for TV and movies went to a pay site. It's like $15? a month for unlimited time. Can't quite remember.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• NetFlix told me to, so I assume it is.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 9:05 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• NetFlix is legal. Other places where you watch for free are ILLEGAL. Plus, it's very unethical to watch movies for free when the producers, actors, writers, etc. are not being paid for it.

It's one of my pet peeves that people steal so easily with no guilt.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 11:06 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• It bothers me how easily people justify stealing music and movies. I know they are rich, but that doesn't make stealing from them okay. Some people seem to say "It's not like they can't afford it"
    MamaCatCat

Answer by MamaCatCat at 11:47 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• there is one site you can watch tv for free & its legal. its hulu.com they pay for the TV shows thru commercials which you have to sit thru. im not sure if they have movies or not.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:41 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Hulu does have movies, may not be the best ones, or most current, but they do have them.

And they usually have the tv shows the day after they air, so if you miss something, check on there the next day.
    mom_love07

Answer by mom_love07 at 9:40 AM on Aug. 13, 2010