• In the Spotlight:

How do you deal with physical fights between friends??

My 10 year old son has a friend that he is always getting into fights with. The fights were always no more than threats etc. I always told him to avoid the boy,but they have mutual friends Yesterday he was playing with some other friends, and this boy was there also. There was a fight between the boy and another, and my son got involved. I have not yet talked to the boys parents, but did discuss it with the other childs mom. I know the boys mom made him call and apologize to the boy he fought with. From what the mother told me he said he was only calling because his mom made him. We have now forbid our children from being around this boy at all. I am not sure if I should call the parents though. They do know it happened, and I don't want them to think I think my child is an angel. Altgough I do think my son played some role in it, I think their child is the bigger problem. They live very close don't want a family fued.

LoriLou75

Asked by LoriLou75 at 8:46 AM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• i understand the wanting not to "cause problems" but...If you dont want the children to be around the boy you must call his parents. Call them and be like I have noticed that your son and my son do not get along. I would appreciate it if "little jimmy" would please not come over here anymore. If she wants to get pissy over that then that is her problem..dont feed into it. Just be the responsible concerned parent you are.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 9:00 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• All my kids are grown, so I'm looking back when I'm thinking of this. The problem is usually the parents getting involved. Kids have a great way of dealing with things. They have a great power to stop things, or get over things. It's usually worse once the parents get involved. As long as there are not "weapons", and it's typical kid fighting, let your son decide if he's comfortable being involved in the group. Let him learn his own mind, and his own level of comfort.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 9:09 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Let them figure it out and teach your son to leave when it gets to "heated" good luck..or just bring out a big stick and wack the other kid (JUST KIDDING!!!)
    Mackenzie40

Answer by Mackenzie40 at 1:53 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Talk to the other mom about it, and suggest they do some community service together. I did it to my son and his "friend" and it worked.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 8:20 PM on Jan. 8, 2009