Is it illegal to pay a 9 year old for data entry? And how much should I pay her?

I have an over 1000 opt in email address document. I never send out news letters, but all these people have opted in for MY news letter. I need to get all these names into an email account address book, so I can send out a large email about my new mega work at home site. Since it has everything from Real Paid Surveys to Real Mystery Shopping jobs I figured I’d use the list to announce the new site, but I just don’t have the time or the desire to copy and paste over 1000 email address!

But my 9 year old niece received a iTouch for Christmas and is in need of MORE iTunes money (she’s already gone through about $75.00) and she is very much willing to work for the cash or card.
And I’m very much willing to pay her to do this and she’s very capable.

Is it illegal to pay her? And how much do you think this job is worth?

Works4Mom.com

Asked by Works4Mom.com at 9:12 AM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Money & Work

• If she's a family member than it's not illegal
    Jennielee_1975

Answer by Jennielee_1975 at 12:49 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• if she will be working for you doing whatever for YOUR home business...yes. child labor laws. google them for ur state and read their guidelines...most laews state u must be AT LEAST 15 yrs old with a work permit.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 9:15 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• no she's your niece.. as long as your fair about it.. even generous there shouldn't be a problem :)
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 9:18 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Providing you don't make it official and she's volunteering to work and you're just sort of giving her money sporadicly I don't see any problem with it, no. She's your niece. It's not exactly child labor.
    HNK11

Answer by HNK11 at 9:21 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• No, let the child do it. Pay her a flat fee and she will probably be happy. Hey, sometimes these kids know alot more than we do about computers. Start her off right!!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 9:26 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Provided you are family, most of the time labor laws don't apply. I was working in the family business at 9, getting paid under the table. We contacted an attorney first, and he said we were in no violation of any labor laws. At least not here in Colorado. It is relatively easy work, just tedious. I would actually talk to your sister or your brother to see what they thought would be fair.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 9:27 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• It is like babysitting. A lot of children get paid to babysit before they are 15 years old. Obviously not at 9, but 12-14.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 9:29 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• no, it's more like chores than a job. there wouldn't be tax forms or anything offical. Kids are always willing to do some work for a little extra cash. Plus, it's a good education for the computer. :)
    Anonymous