Anyone else out there with a 20 pound 4mos old??

We just saw the nurse practioner for his 4 mos check-up, he's fine but huge. He's 20 pounds and 70 cm's. She told me no cereal until he's 6mos and I'm fine with that. But I find that I'm nursing him every 2 hours. Is that normal because he's so big that he needs the calories? He goes 6-7 hrs through the night without eating, but during the day I'm the walking milk machine! Just wondering if anyone else has experienced bf a big big baby?

wadesmum

Asked by wadesmum at 9:15 AM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my first was big too. I was looking at pics last night and at three months he was HUGE! He had this big fat chin. And now, he's tall and thin, but still off the charts for his age (almost 3) If your baby is hungry feed him. Once he starts moving the weight will come off. I don't think infants can really be overweight.
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 12:06 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I did..both of my boys were the same weight as yours at 4 mths. I fed them cereal once a day..either in the afternoon or at night. I am not a fan of "starving" your child for a dr. I told my i didnt want to hear it. some babies are naturally bigger and have bigger appetites. I'm not going to deny my child when they are hungry!
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 9:21 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• oh, they are now 3, and 4 and they are very tall for their ages and NOT obese or overweight and they still eat like horses!
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 9:22 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• did you try giving a pacifier? he may not need to eat, maybe just wants to suck on something.
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 9:28 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• wow! My 14 month old is 21-22lbs. I couldn't imagine carrying around a baby weighing that much!

Yes, its very normal to keep wanting to nurse every 2 hours. He knows what he needs :~) My 14 month old typically nurses about every 3 hours, but sometimes if she's having a bad day, it will be every hour.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 10:10 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• My next to the youngest DS was like that. At 2 months he had doubled in birth weight. The doctor told me to cut back on his feedings. That only made him very fussy. I followed my on instincts and he did fine. he soon leveled out and He is now 28 and 6' 2" ! He has no weight problems.
    debj49

Answer by debj49 at 10:11 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• follow your instincts I had four kids 2g's and 2b's that were big at 5 mths.
    goatmom4

Answer by goatmom4 at 10:22 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Children should double their birth weight in their first 3 months... SO... How big was he at birth? My oldest was 21 lbs at his 4 month check up but that's because he was 9+ lbs at birth... Just follow your instincts. I never gave either of my kids cerial until they were at least 6 months old. They were still big. Unless the doctor has a big issue with your childs weight I wouldn't worry.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:57 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Mom don't start worrying. It is ok. Mine was 10 pounds at birth and 20 pounds by 4 months, and now skinny as a bean at 16 years. Don't worry mom.
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 11:58 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• All three of mine were about that much at 4 months...and taking 45-50oz of formula per day.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:08 PM on Jan. 3, 2009