why do some people think the rules don't apply to them?

For example: My friend always walks in my house with her shoes on! I tell her please DON"T walk in my house with your shoes on. I have a baby who eats everything off of the floor, including the dirt tracked in by your shoes. She insists she'll only be a minute. It DOESNT MATTER if its a minute or five! You're still bringing dirt in! I remind her before she even sets foot in my house, yet, she will walk right in and ignore me. AHHHHHH!!!!!!! The rules apply to you too!!! Or better yet, my other friend: her kids will come in the back door (I babysit them) and leave their shoes there. Yet, when she comes to pick them up, she'll tell them to go put on their shoes. So they'll go get their shoes, then put them on in the middle of the living room and walk all over my clean floor with their snowy/wet/salty/sandy feet. grrrrr I have salt stains on my floor from their shoes :( Why do some people think the rules don't apply to them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Here's the gross part most people don't think about with shoes... you walk in and out of public restrooms, where people have peed and god knows what else on the floor...you walk thru peoples spit, etc... all day and then you are tracking that in your home. I would flat out tell her to stop and don't step in your house. That's disrespectful!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 9:29 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• sounds like because you let them, not trying to be rude. But it's your home and you enforce the rules, or you don't.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Pupmom, that is my exact opinion on it. And not to mention animal poo. That is totally something I want on my carpet where my baby plays. However, I do have to agree with anon on this one. I think you need to step up and start enforcing those rules to those people. However, I do see the whole "rules don't apply to me" mindset of a lot of people anymore. We had a manager at work that yelled at one of our crew trainers for talking on her cell phone. I should mention the manager had just put her phone away and the trainer was on break.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 9:34 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Have an area just inside the door that is safe for shoes- some have a mud room, I don't. Have slippers there of various sizes, and a chair, so that the person can take off their shoes and step into the slippers. Assure them that the slippers are washed at every use. I agree about not wanting people to track who-knows-what into the house. I've found that elderly people have a problem with getting shoes on and off, so I have pretty much stopped trying to enforce the no shoe rule. In the summer I do ask the children to remove their shoes, and I do have slippers for each of the adults who visit us regularly, except for the fragile elderly people.

Answer by Bmat at 9:37 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• its me, the poster. I do TRY to enforce the rules, but it doesn't always work. I have a hard time saying, "Well, if you won't take off your shoes, you can't come in." And if they brush right past me saying, "I'll only be a minute" or "I was only walking on the sidewalk for a minute, my feet aren't dirty," I mean, how do I reply? I always say, "Yes, your feet are dirty" and she says, "No theyre not." I end up feeling like Im arguing with a kid!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I feel for you. We had a shoe rule in our last house and it drove me nuts. I was good at enforcing rules, and had socks available for people who didn't want to go barefoot. We did have leniency for grandma. She was 84 and would have broken a hip trying to put her shoes on and off. Really though, you have to be unwavering about it, or people won't do it.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:48 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I hear you! When my inlaws come over in the winter I cringe when they take off their boots. We have a tiled area at the door that I don't mind getting wet and snowy. I have a boot tray for them to put their wet, snowy boots on and they will walk past the tile and onto my hardwood floors!!!!! Drives me nuts! So in preparation for this I bought a water proof bottom mat and put that on the hardwood for when they came over. Did they not walk off the mat onto my hardwood floors and leave their wet boots there! I've told them several times, my husband has told them as well! It's a huge mat they had to take like 4 steps and walk down the hall to get to where they put their boots!!!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:54 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Sounds like you just need to be more firm about the house rules to her. Put your foot down about these things.

Answer by louise2 at 10:03 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Cute pun louise2 about "putting your foot down"! :-) My brother and his wife have hardwood floors and have done the "no shoes" thing for years. They even have a sign on the outside of their house that says "Enjoy our house like we do, with no shoes!" and they have a bench with a huge basket of slippers inside the front door. Now, when people go over to their house, they have started bringing their own slippers or socks because they know what's coming! I don't remember them being hard-assed about it, but people sure do take them seriously.
    jburg2541

Answer by jburg2541 at 10:40 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• thats when you just don't let them in anymore! seriously they'll get the point then! or if they do it.. give them the sweeper and tell them to sweep your floors now.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 11:17 AM on Jan. 3, 2009