Pain Meds In labor

Im 33 weeks and i have already signed up for my epidural. I am having second thoughts about getting it. so my question is are there other pain meds that they can give me through the iv, and is there a way that they can numb the area down there right before the head crowns?

TBrown34450

Asked by TBrown34450 at 9:36 PM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Nubain (spelling??) is another option. It is supposed to dull the pain, but not as intense as an epidural. I do not believe that there are medications to rub topically. I am not sure at all, I birthed in a natural child birthing center. I would ask my OB/GYN or the hospital you are birthing in.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 9:40 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• They can give you pain meds through the IV but it won't numb you, it will take the edge off the pain. They can't numb you just before the head crowns, that is too late. Personally I tried a pain med midway through labor & it was inadequate, when it wore off I got the epidural & was hugely relieved. Weigh your options & make the choice that is best for you. It might ease your concerns to check up on the anesthesiologists at your hospital.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 9:41 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I was worried about the epidural because of how it's administered. When I was in labor all that went out the window. The pain of child birth is far worse than the epidural :) But none of it is more than you can take and get a big reward for putting up with it!
    MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 9:49 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Keep the paperwork in place for the epidural. You wont have to get it when your in labor unless you want it. But once you reach a certain dilatation they will give you NOTHING, unless you need an emergency C section.. You can get the "cocktail in early labor, through the IV but early labor is nothing compared to when the baby is crowning, or the shoulders are presenting......But seriously at that point it is only a momentary pain or discomfort. You will forget ALL about the pain as time goes on.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:43 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• i've done it with the epidural and with the meds. i prefer the epidural. teh meds had me so loopy i don't remember too much about it and i can tell you it hurt like a bitch. i've been pretty banged up, and nothign was that bad. but if you have the stamina to handle it, go for it. just decide by 8 cm if or not you want it cause once you reach 8, your choice is gone.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 1:11 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• im pretty sure that there r other pain killers for labor, but nothing beats the epidural. i remember having really bad contraction and i didnt get the epidural until i was about 8 cm dialted. but the pain was soooo bad i dont think i wouldve been able to go the other 2 cm withought it. i think u should just take the epidural.
    Gaby142

Answer by Gaby142 at 1:22 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• didn't you already ask this? here's my answer copied from your other question:
    They gave me nubane during my induction which just made me care a little less about the pain lol... they also gave me a local before the head crowned (I had an episiotomy/tear but I'm sure if you asked they would give it to you even if you didn't need cut)... the local did hurt but I'm sure not as much as feeling everything during the pushing, or as much as an epidural (just a guess I've never had an epidural)... and I did not feel the head crown at all, I actually asked the dr. what it was because I was certain that it was not big enough to be the head lol
    dance_chica

Answer by dance_chica at 4:42 AM on Jul. 16, 2008