How long do you let water stay in a sippy cup before you dump it and get clean water?

Do you dump the drink out after every meal or snack or do you go a few hours or all day? I generally will give her a couple ounces in a spill proof sippy and let her keep that from breakfast to lunch, then whatever she doesn't finish I dump and clean the cup and get new water. Then I do that from afternoon to bedtime as well. She is still not a pro at sippy cups so doesn't use them for much fluid.

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 9:41 AM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am a veteran mom. I side more with Louise2, Water does not spoil. If she doesn't drink much from it you don't have to worry about bacteria and backwash. Besides you can't protect your child from too many bacterias, because there is a such thing as good bacteria. Also you wash too much stuff you will not allow her body to fight with it's normal functions. Then your child will always be sickly. A little dirt don't hurt...smiles
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 11:57 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Water does not spoil. It might get warm though. You can leave it in the sippy cup all day if you want to. As long as the toddler will drink it

Answer by louise2 at 9:54 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Sounds like you're keeping it clean enough to prevent illness. My concern is that the "sippy" part of a sippy cup collects bacteria and that should be washed with hot water frequently. Human mouths are dirty places! Also, toddlers do tend to have backwash. I washed my kids' cups after every use, but I have earned the title of "anal" mom, so...
    MomShap

Answer by MomShap at 11:29 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I only ever gave sippys at meals or snack times. I never let the boys walk around or have one with them all day long. But with water....as long as they didn't backwash too bad into it, I think it would be fine to leave it. (otherwise, it's just disgusting ....YUCK! lol)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:06 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I let my son have his cup til it is empty then he gets a new one, the cup usually last about 2 hrs before it is empty, Sometimes you can be too clean for your childs own health. You sound like your doing fine not to dirty not to clean :)
    Anonymous

• at every meal and or snack was my rule. i know hubby would let it stay in longer if i was not watching
    nannybopeep

Answer by nannybopeep at 8:53 PM on Jan. 5, 2009