Question about Christianity

People who don't believe in Jesus aren't saved, so they go to hell. What about people who live where Christianity isn't prevalent? What if people haven't been taught about Jesus do they go to hell too?
I asked this earlier today, but some others things on CM that make me think all Christians don't agree with most of the answers I got before.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:40 PM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• PEOPLE are the ones who came up with the "if you don't believe in Jesus you got to Hell" BS. I was raised Catholic, and some ignorant people still follow this belief. However, everyone I associate with believes as long as a person is good they'll go to Heaven regardless of their religion or lack therof. It's completely self centered to think that if someone doesn't believe what you do they're condemned.
    kellietinsley

Answer by kellietinsley at 2:40 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Unfortunately not all Christians are on the same page with everything. I know that plays a huge part in how people view Christians, after all, such confusion among people who supposedly believe the same thing certainly is a turn off.

Now prior to answering your question I am going to make one thing very clear, you asked this of a Christian, so you will hear this strictly from a Christian's perspective, if you don't believe in God and I'm talking in such absolutes in the matter understand that I am talking from my perspective as a Christian.

-Please refer to next post due to lack of space.-
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 9:51 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• -My post continued.-

There is a point where a certain innocence can protect a person from such a sure fate. This is the case with children, and I believe can play a part with people who have never heard of the gift that has been offered by Jesus Christ. It seems apparent to me that if you can make a clear choice to reject God then you are doomed to hell by your own decision. However, someone who does not know or understand things enough to either choose or reject Him could very well be within that point of innocence.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 9:52 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• It says in the bible that god gave his only begotton son so who ever believe in him should be save and who ever doesnt should perish. In Islam we believe that Jesus (peace be upon him) is a prophet We say that god begets not nor is he begotton God was not born or could he give birth. We also think that if someone never heard about islam he will not be judged, he can go to heaven through his good deeds. THe only way to heaven in christianity is through believing that jesus died on the cross for your salvation. We muslims dont believe that we believe you are judged on your good deeds and bad deeds
    muslimmom

Answer by muslimmom at 9:52 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• This is my response to a couple other threads where this has come up...

Scripture also says no one is without excuse before God. All human beings know God in varying degrees because of the witness of creation (Romans 1:20). "What happened to those who believed in God before Jesus?" http://www.gotquestions.org/before-Jesus.html As this says,the basis of salvation has always been the death of Christ. The requirement for salvation has always been faith. The object of one's faith for salvation has always been God. What has changed through the ages is the content of a believer's faith. God's requirement of what must be believed is based on the amount of revelation He has given to a person. God knows their heart. I have heard of missionaries going to tribes deep in the heart of Africa and the tribe leader saying they had been praying for the creator of the moon and stars to send someone to tell them more about "him". They knew not to worship the creation but the creator.
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 9:59 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• So even if you don't believe in Jesus you can be saved, as long as you believe in God?

Not everyone is taught about Christianity in the same way. In fact some people are never taught about it. How can we all come to the same conclusion when we have different experiences and are not given the same information. Some children are born to Christian parents and go to church every week. Some children born in foreign countries and never lay eyes on a bible. Even if at one point they are "exposed" to Jesus, that's not the same opportunity to be "saved."  I'm having a hard time understanding a faith that says people of other beliefs are going to hell.

Anonymous

• If you have never been presented with the Gospel of Christ, it does not mean the Holy Spirit is not at work in your life. People can be saved in Christ without really knowing about the Gospel because the Spirit can speak to their hearts. The Bible tells us that nature itself is a witness of Him. Just as all those who died before Christ came were saved by Christ- even though they had never heard the Gospel. If a person has heard the Gospel & is capable of understanding- and they reject it- God will not force Himself on them. We get to choose whom we serve.
    FriendlyJas

Answer by FriendlyJas at 10:29 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Yeah because that is how a loving god would decide, based on who you believed, not what you did.
    Anonymous

• I belive that the holy spirit can reveal himself to others. I know he has in dreams and visions.
    I also think that people who do not share christ with others will be held responsable.
    Anonymous

• WOW EARLIER TODAY I WAS THINKING OF ASKING THE SAME QUESTION ACCUALY I HAVE BEEN CONFUSED ABOUT THIS FOR YEARS AND COULD NEVER GET A STRAIT ANSWER I WAS RASED IN A BAPTIST CHRUCH AND I WAS TAUGHT THAT IF YOU WERE NOT SAVED YOU WERE GOING TO HELL...PLAN AND SIMPLE....BUT IS IS IT THAT PLAIN AND SIMPLE?
    THANK YOU FOR ASKING THIS QUESTION I WILL BE LOOKING FOR ANSWERS AS WELL.
    yumymommy

Answer by yumymommy at 10:50 PM on Jul. 15, 2008