My parents are trying to make me get an abortion, counter arguments?

Ok I'm 16, yes getting pregnant was stupid and idiotic, and I should have took better precautions, but I can't change that fact now. Please don't bash, I've tried so hard to be a good student, a good daughter and made one mistake, which is quite obviously life-changing. So my question is, my parents are completely pro-abortion well in this situation anyhow, they're giving me no other option and will not listen to a word I say. I honestly don't see abortion as a path I can take, I cannot destroy a life, especially not one which is so connected to me. Please help me with counter arguments, or just some way to change their minds, thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Well they can't force you. If you have a pregnancy assistance center near you they should be able to help. But not Planned Parenthood!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• you can lead a horse to water but cant make em drink..tell em you simply dont believe its right. they can drive you to the clinic but legally cant force you to get an abort. explore adoption. give your local care net a call they will help you in everything..choosing, talking to your parents, adoption, choosing to raise..everything!!! what state are you in? cuz i know here in md planned parenthood helps with that as well.
    idebusashes

Answer by idebusashes at 9:55 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• whats wrong with planned parenthood?
    idebusashes

• Tell them absolutely not. If you are a religious family, use religion to back you up...if you are not, research the dangers of abortion. There are many sites that give detailed information about what happens week by week...make them read it to realize how much development has already occurred in your pregnancy. Aside from that, you better come up with a REAL plan for how you're going to do things on your own...not only will you need to have a plan for your OWN benefit, but it will show them that you are taking the responsibility seriously and are already thinking about how to be a mother. They can't force you, but they can make you do it all on your own...be prepared for that...it is well worth making a choice you can live with though.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:57 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Legally they can't force you to get an abortion or give it up for adoption.

Answer by louise2 at 9:57 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Your parents legally cannot legally make you get an abortion this is your child not theirs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Against would be if you have moral issues- you feel you would be sinning or murdering. Also against would be that you are the one who would feel bad for a long time about killing the baby. Your parents are likely seeing this as a disaster for you, that you will be stuck with the care and well-being of a person for the rest of your life. When you should be having fun with the other kids, you will need to be working in a low-paying job to provide food, clothing, medical care, housing, education, for the person. Or, they may be foreseeing that they will be the ones doing the raising, and they may not have the financial means or energy to tackle this any longer.If you feel that you can't handle abortion nor even working all the time to support the new person, maybe adoption is a possibility. Good luck and hugs. This is a really rough issue. 

Answer by Bmat at 10:00 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I had a baby at 15 and put him up for adoption. My sister had an abortion at 15. You can pm if you want to ask any questions at all. The ramifications that she experienced from her decision were substantially more severe than the ones that I dealt with. You are obviously intelligent and somewhat together. Are you and the father in a good relationship with each other? He can be an amazing support if he is willing to be.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:01 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• im 20 yrs old and wen i found out i was pregnant everyone, including my boyfriend, wanted me to have an abortion. But i couldnt do it. Like u said i couldnt kill a life connected to me, my child. I heard said that even tho u have an abortion ur still a mother, just to a dead child & i couldnt deal with this. So i mean just be honest with them, I told my boyfriend it isnt YOU who will be on that table getting the procedure done or YOU living with the regret of killing my child. Yeh it may be hard and yes you are young, But honestly....abortion is the easy way out and your parents should back you no matter what you do.....{{con}}
    kwiseman19

Answer by kwiseman19 at 10:05 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• They are not the ones who will live with the feelings you will after you get the abortion. They just dont understand and i think people who try to forced it onto someone, especially family, are disgusting because the feelings and pain behind that and regret is alot to deal with. I mean eventually, if u do keep the baby, they will come around.... message me if i need to tlk....good luck mama! KEEP UR CHILD!!! she/he will be lukcy to have u as a mom......
    kwiseman19

Answer by kwiseman19 at 10:08 AM on Jan. 3, 2009