? for african americans

ok i am white and have alot of black friends over half my freinds are black, and i NEVER use the n word in converstaion.. you know what i mean how they say it to each other like "whats up n---- " or youre my "n---" but i dont say anything when they say it to each other cuz thats a culture thing kinda... i do however get upset when i hear white poeple say it in the same way even if it is to a firend.. i dont sya anything but it bothers me .. i dont like the word period . i was just wondering: africans american moms: does it offend you when a white person uses the n word in converstion even it is not meant in bad way?

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 10:09 AM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Relationships

• First of all kudos to you! Secondly, it doesn't offend me because I know who I am. Thirdly, I don't hang around anyone that talks that way.
    usanamama

Answer by usanamama at 3:17 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Honestly if anyone doesn't like it then they shouldn't say it. It's a double stander. I don't care if someone say oh one WE can say it, it take the power out of the word.. or whatever crap I have heard before, its BS, wanna take the "power" out of the word then dont say it. Just like Cracker or honky. I hear that out of someones mouth in a destructive manner then I use what ever hurts them back. Did it once and I sure as hell got my point across.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Extremely Disparaging and Offensive. a person of any race or origin regarded as contemptible, inferior, ignorant, etc.

It can be used for ANY race. I'm not dumb however i know it has been used for mostly blacks, but I as a white woman says it to my friends just messing around. I am not a racist person and I am careful to when and where i say that. I just want to say i DO BELIEVE EVERYONE IS EQUAL

But I don't think it should be offensive for blacks to hear. UNLESS it's being used in an inappropriate manner.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 10:56 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• No one should be saying that word no matter what their race. I'm black and I just think it's incredibly ignorant and a slap in the face to past, present and future black struggles.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:31 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• First I don't like the word African American. I get tired of seeing that word used for being black I suppose. Everyone with dark skin is not African American. Now to answer your question I think it is stupid to use a word that WHITE people use to opress, belittle and shame black people. Now it is a term of endearment. I think it is stupid!!
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 12:38 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Although you asked this for African-Americans...I'm going to answer as the mother of a black child. I have friends who don't care what the hec you call them as long as it is not the N word or offensive. Whoopi Goldberg actually says she does not like the term Africian-American because she is an American - you don't need to stick some classifier in front of it to signify her race. You don't say Caucasian-American. That is her stance. She prefers, I think, to be called black when talking about race and ethnicity. I personally cringe when going to Wal-Mart or some other store and see products directed at black people under "ethnic care products." What is ethnic? We are all from some ethnic or cultural background.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:13 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• cont...I have friends who do use the N word among their family and friends. I respect that. I personally do not choose to use the word, nor can I being that I don't own it and have the right to use it, so I also don't have the right to tell my friends otherwise. It is painful to hear the word being used - I cringe. It reminds me of a time in history when people who look like my son were killed, lynched, and had their lives destroyed. But I also get that some people who are black use that word as empowerment - to turn that word that they once did not own and take ownership. To say to white people who were the oppressors (and still we live in an oppressive society) you cannot dictate to me or to us what is acceptable in our culture and society.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:17 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Like me I have a black boyfriend and i deff. dont use that word at all. not cuz I am with a black man I just dont..When I hear white ppl say it I just think its wrong But its not my place to say anything and ppl say African American becuz most black ppl are offended when they say "black ppl" if her title was " question for black people" most will get offended. Now in days everyone picks on everything. No one is perfect.
    effie777

Answer by effie777 at 1:47 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I don't think if you are red white yellow brown black or green we are anything but Americans. I have tremendous respect for everyone reguardless of where they come from. God doesn't make any junk! We all are his treasures and should treat each other as such. Outside appearances do not make you who you are. It is heart that makes you who you are. I am one of the people that tries to help anyone that needs it, ride home in the rain, help you with your groceries, hold the door open for you and I enjoy the same respect. No one should stoop to name calling even joking. We should call each other friend and think of how you would want someone to treat you or a member of your family. Guess I'm just an out of date hippie Peace, love, harmony we shouldn't chose sides just right and wrong.
    1countrygal

Answer by 1countrygal at 1:52 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I don't like the word at all when any one says it however it is said. I have had a person who was not african american say it in front of me when speaking to my son... I became very quiet and left the room... he hasn't said it in front of me since, I think my son told him it bothered me. The reason he thought it was okay was because he is hearing it said between AA's to each other and then AA's are also saying to people who aren't AA's.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 2:34 PM on Jan. 3, 2009