How long would you let your newborn sleep without worrying?

She's only 4 days old, and the past two nights she's slept for 8 hrs, at which point I wake her up because I worry too much. I'm not sure if she'll wake up on her own to feed. She also sleeps through long naps throughout the day. Anyone have any advice?

srhmldndo

Asked by srhmldndo at 10:40 AM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I always let mine sleep as long as they wanted, when they were hungey they would wake up. I have 4 boys and they all different sleeping patterns. Some people don't realize that for the baby...being born is stressfull and tiring. If you are really concerned about how long she sleeps...make a schedule for her and stick to it(make sure it fits your schedule...lol) That way she sleeps and eats when you want her too and before long she'll stick to the schedule...untill her needs change. Good luck!
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 10:50 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• you have to wake her up at least every 3 hours since she's so little. She should be eating every 2 to 3 hours.
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 10:48 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• my son woke up on his own... but once he was 4 weeks and we put him in the crib rather than the bassinet he slept for about 8 hours.. and we let him sleep. but with your being so young i'd say between every 3-4 hours to eat.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 10:51 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• They need sleep at that point. I NEVER woke mine! If they are sleeping 8 hours it's most likely because they got in that habit in your belly... I personally, would let her sleep. I fed on demand. If they were hungry every 3-4 hours they ate, if they weren't they didn't...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:53 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I was told to wake my son up at least every 3-4 hours to eat when he was first born. The kid would have slept non-stop and never eaten if I didn't. Haha Once she gets to be about a month and wants to sleep longer then I would let her. Good luck and congrats on your new bundle of joy!
    AlliO2

Answer by AlliO2 at 11:10 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• My baby slept between 14 & 16hrs at a time (from about 7pm to 9am) for the first 3 weeks she was home from the hospital. I would wake her to feed and change diapers and my doctor said that it was completely fine and normal
    KeagansMom08

Answer by KeagansMom08 at 11:18 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Have you had the baby checked and weighed? If she's eating enough during the day, she'll be picking up weight by now. Are you nursing? If so, she definitely will need to be stimulating milk production more than that in order for you to produce enough as her little appetite grows. If she's peeing, pooping, and gaining - I'd say you're a pretty lucky mom. Enjoy your baby girl! A Grandma in Seattle, Ruth
    MomShap

Answer by MomShap at 11:27 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Just keep an eye on how much she eats when she is awake.I never ever woke my baby up.She will eat when she is hungry.PLUS my Dr said it was ok to just let her sleep..Its really all they do..
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 11:40 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Babies will wake up when they are hungry. That said, shes only 4 days old. I would still wake her every 2-3 hrs to feed for at least the next few weeks. Good luck :).
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 11:53 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• It depends entirely o how well baby is growing/eating. I had to wake my dd up b/c she wasn't gaining weight. If your baby is a good size and growing, I wouldn't worry about it. If you have any concerns, the docs are usually very helpful.
    Anonymous