I am thinking about doing foster care in Colorado Springs...does anyone have advice?

Dee-nice

Asked by Dee-nice at 10:53 AM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Adoption

• I was a foster parent for awhile until my life changed and led me in a different direction. I did discipline the children in my care, however physical discipline such as spanking is not allowed. I used time-out, loss of priveledges and things like that. Also, you are not forced to accept children for placement. The social workers give you as much information as they have on the children and you decide if you are willing to care for those children or not. It is alot of work but you get out of it what you put into it. Once my husband graduates and we get settled we will be looking into getting our license to foster again. I found it to be very rewarding and worthwhile. Some people do have bad experiences but I find them to be in the minority. You can try visiting www.fosterparents.com to find more information from people who are current or former foster parents. Good Luck
    m_ellingson

Answer by m_ellingson at 2:28 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• hello! i think foster care sounds like a good idea.i live in colorado too and i don't know about you but in grand junction there arn't really very many people who adopt or anything so that is a fantastic idea!!!:)
    singlemom503

Answer by singlemom503 at 6:28 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Make sure you have plenty of patience.
    luvn_my_300M

Answer by luvn_my_300M at 5:56 PM on Mar. 15, 2009