Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PLEASE help in a terrible situation???

Firts off im a single mom im 21 and work 12 hour day at the hospital. Me and my daughter were living in a one bedrooom until me and a coworker dicided to get a 3 bed apartment since my lease was reay to be up. We agreed to a one year lease so we moved in the day after she decided she didn't wnat to do it anymore I freaked rent alone is 1112 i was struggling with my 699 rent in my other place once she left she moved back in a c week later then moved back out she did pay Oct Nov and some of Dec rent.for dec i had to pay the half she didnt pay and she turned that portion inlate so i had to pay extra for late charges she hired a lawyer and i recived 2 leters from her laywer stating she will not pay anymore and that i had efectivly evicted her which i didnt she still has a copy of the key i cant do this by myself te i have 6 text messaged from her stating she would pay at differnet times can i sue her in small claims

Answer Question

Asked by dreaminmama at 10:59 AM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

Level 2 (6 Credits)
Answers (20)
  • Is her name on the lease, too? If it is, I would think she is obligated to pay. I would see an attorney to find out your options. Sounds to me like you definitely have grounds to sue for breach of conract.

    Answer by owensmom17 at 11:03 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

  • If you have the proof, yes. Is her name also on the lease?

    Answer by TeaAndrews at 11:05 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

  • Is her name on the lease? If it is,,,,you bet you can sue her.

    Answer by kscmbz at 11:05 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

  • i deff agree with owensmom17

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

  • Oh, that's a terrible situation. My heart goes out to you. I'd let the landlord know the entire situation asap, and ask him for help in getting the other rooms sublet.
    I'd sue, yes. But don't expect to see the $$ any time soon. Even if you get a judgment, she may not pay you for years. Especially if she has no assets right now, there won't be much a judge can do for you immediately.
    Good luck!!

    Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 11:21 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

  • wow that is tough hope somtihng works out

    Answer by goatmom4 at 1:07 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

  • Doesn't anyone watch Judge Judy???

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

  • I would take your daughter to a friend's and go to the manager and just be real- They can work something out with you. Honesty is the best policy. Worst case scenario, they kick you out, and you have to live in a motel for a couple nights until you can figure something else out, but I think most managers are going to work with you.

    Answer by TXdanielly at 2:15 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

  • yes her name is on the lease

    Answer by dreaminmama at 2:16 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

  • well her family is really rich they can afford an attorney i cant so is small cails court ok

    Answer by dreaminmama at 2:20 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.