Is 37 too old to have a baby?

I got married 4 months ago, hubby and I want kids. My coworker who is 65 said "I hope to God you aren't thinking of getting pregnant. You are too old. Just think about it. You will be almost dead by the time your kid is a teen." Is that really too old? Pardon me but I didn't meet Mr. Right until later in life.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:49 PM on Sep. 30, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I am about to have our fourth baby. I will be 42 in December. Don't worry about college or all of that other stuff that you have no control over because it is in the future. If our kids want to go to college, they can get jobs and pay for college themselves or get scholarships just like DH & I did. Children are a blessing. DH and I really enjoy our children. They are all unique. My grandmother, who is 85, has told me that the only thing that she hates about getting older is that no one needs her any more. All of her girls are grown and have grandchildren of their own. Having children at a later age will keep us from feeling that way. Have fun making that baby and cherish all of those special moments:)
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 11:46 PM on Sep. 30, 2011

• math not my best subject but..
    woman is 65 says tells you (37) that you will be dead when your child is a teen?
    is this woman using the "old" math-LAMO

i have one child, i became pregnant at 41, daughter born when i was 42

however- you might want to get off the computer, and get busy with husband getting off
    good luck, you are NOT too old
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:00 PM on Sep. 30, 2011

• Nope, not too old!

And your co-worker is an asshole!
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 8:52 PM on Sep. 30, 2011

• @ Sabrina...what do you mean she'll never see her grandchildren...my grandmother was 35 when she had my mother and 40 when she had my aunt...she met all her grandchildren and even some of her great grandchildren! 37 is not too old at all!
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 9:05 PM on Sep. 30, 2011

• My mother was 46 when I was born and she didn't need to figure out how to pay for college when I went. I figured that out on my own. 37 is still young enough to know that you can have your own.

Also Sabrina, if 37 is too old to have a baby naturally, why wouldn't it be too old to adopt? Or did you mean adopt a teenager?
    feelinghomesick

Answer by feelinghomesick at 10:16 PM on Sep. 30, 2011

• No, it is not to old!
    BigMomm4

Answer by BigMomm4 at 8:50 PM on Sep. 30, 2011

• No,u r not too old! I would tell the old bitty to mind her own damn business!!! Good Luck to u and hubby.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 8:51 PM on Sep. 30, 2011

• Generally speaking it is not too old but if it is a first pregnancy there are more risks. Find a good OB/GYN and tell the Dr. you want to have a baby. They will likely do some blood work and a general exam to make sure things are okay. They will also need a thorough history. I had my kids all before I was 25. However, we had to take custody of an infant and a toddler when I was mid 40's.. When my grandson reaches 18 my husband will be 67. Is it ideal? No, but it isn't about idealism..it's about love.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:57 PM on Sep. 30, 2011

• Actually some women have a drop in eggs released after 30. Chances of downs begin to rise at 35....there are some things you might want to research before getting pregnant. After 35 is considered advanced maternal age, but it is up to you. Good luck
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:58 PM on Sep. 30, 2011

• I was 37 when I had my 2nd and 40 when I had my 3rd. They keep me young!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:28 PM on Sep. 30, 2011