Breastfeeding... How Old is Too Old?

I just saw a segment on the news about a woman who still breastfeeds her 6 yr old son. She does it for the bonding. It also showed other woman breastfeeding their older children. One little girl had to have been at least 10 or 12 yrs old! I am curious what other moms think about this, and how old do you think is too old to breastfeed?

BlessedMommy64

Asked by BlessedMommy64 at 11:16 AM on Jan. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'm not judging mothers who breastfeed their "older" kids. Personally, as long as the mother does it for the first year of her child's life then that's great but in my opinion, 2 years old, is old enough. It's really not necessary after that. It's just weird for a kid to ask their mommy can I have your breast. Once they have all their teeth, they're talking and walking around... it's just strange. They should be drinking other things, water, milk, orange juice, etc. Not booby!
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 12:58 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• that is disgusting. absolutely disgusting!!!!!! omg. those poor kids.

i personally think after a year you should be done!! but thats just my opinion
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 11:19 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I saw it also, the 5 year old didn't bother me to much (he was small for his age that helped) the english family with the 8 year old was a little hard to swallow. For me 2 1/2-3 would be the limit, that's about the time most kids are either bottle broke or pacifier broke. But I don't see any harm to the children, they all had older kids who nursed judt as long and were great well adjusted kids, so really it is a matter of preference.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:28 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• most will say 2 is the max. About the same age you would take off the bottle and on to sippy cups.
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 11:29 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I saw that too... On 20/20... In countries around the world the average age of breastfeeding is 5... I personally think 3 a great age to stop. Breast is deffinitly best! But I am affraid of what nursing at that age would do to a child mentally. By that age they need to be able to be themselves and although you still need to be close to your kids I think that's too close!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:32 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I do want to say. I was very upset by how they reported on the mother with the twins (2.5 years) that were still nursing. There is not only nothing wrong with nursing at that age most pediatritians and what not will tell you to try to breastfeed until your kids are around 2. So what is the big deal with 2.5?? They acted as if she was doing something wrong by carring for her children. Yet the other woman that was giving her kids away was treated as a great person... I am writing a letter to ABC in fact. I feel they did that woman a big disservice!

• i plan on nursing till 4yr
    married-in-06

Answer by married-in-06 at 11:43 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• They are too old when mom and child no longer want to nurse.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:03 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• In some states it is considered child molestation. A 12 year old girl who may have her period already does not need breast milk. Too old is after 10 months. At 10 months they should be on cups and drinking 2% milk.
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 12:10 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I think its wrong and disgusting and idiotic. There are better ways to bond with your child, especially when they are that age.

I think over 15 mths is too old to still be breastfeeding, especially if its exclusive.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 12:12 PM on Jan. 3, 2009