Have you had a bank do this to you?

I bank at US Bank. I had a bebit card come through on Dec 31 for 6.06. This left me a balance of .60 in my account.

On Jan 2, the bank hit me with a 35 dollar overdraft charge because at the time the 6.06 came through, I had a PRE-AUTHORIZATION for 14.03. The actually debit card charge did not hit my account until Jan 2 and it was for 16.03 with tip included from a restuarant.

I think this is wrong. I explained to the rep that the charge did not physically hit my account for 2 days and the 6.06 had money in the account the day hit. My account never overdrew. The rep told me to bad.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Money & Work

• In the eyes of the bank techincally you did over draw your account. The pre authorization was there holding those funds on your card meaning that you had them held knowing they couldn't be used for anything else. Then you went and spent money you didn't have on something else knowing that money was going to be withdrawn.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 4:34 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Now, that would be the same in saying that i needed a rental though the dealership is paying for it while my car is being repaired. the rental car place PRE-AUTHORIZES 50 dollars on my card. I buy 100 dollars in groceries. I now will be dinged 35 dollard for the 50 dollar preauth. on my card to put food on my table.

Do you see what I am saying. I never overdrew...it hit 2 days later!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• well now you know what to do different next time. =\
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 11:21 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• banks suck!!
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 11:28 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• not only that....my deposit hit the account before the 16.03 charge hit the account. I think this is fraud on the bank. There excuse to hit customers for money.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• i'd call and talk to someone else and MAKE them give you your money back or threaten to switch banks to a competitor
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 11:31 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• That stinks. Just a little explanation from someone who used to work for a rental car company...Any time there is a pre-auth. on your card, the bank views this as if that amt. of money is on hold, and not available to be spent from your acct. Rental car companies inform you of this is you try to use a debit card to reserve a car. Unfortunately, restaurants and gas stations don't have that "disclaimer", but the transaction goes thru the same way. So if you are low on funds, you are better off using a credit card and paying off the balance once you get more money in your acct. You have to know how to work the system.

I agree you should try to talk to someone else at the bank. We used to bank with US Bank, and they were very understanding and willing to credit our account when we made an accounting mistake. Give it another shot! Good luck.
    owensmom17

Answer by owensmom17 at 11:45 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• You really shouldn't keep your account so close to the insufficient funds mark! It's one thing to need to buy groceries and fix your car, BUT do you really need to be eating out at a restaurant and having to tip a server even MORE, when you don't have much money to begin with?!

And even though charges don't normally post until a day or two later--you really shouldn't "bank" on that. When you write a check or use a debit card, you really should consider that money GONE at the time you use it. Otherwise, you WILL find yourself having to pay excessive overdraft charges again and an again, which will add up to more money wasted, than being more prudent with your money--as well as potentially ruin your credit rating!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I bank with chase. I have never had them do this to me when I have had a preauthorization on my account. The money is there until the acutal debit card transation his my funds.

I would talk to someone else. Maybe go to the branch where your account is and talk with a manager. To me, it doesn't seem right especially if the funds were not taken out of your acount until later.

If you stick with that bank, going forward, be careful if this is the way they play the game. Yeah it is a money making scheme. Unfortunately with the economy, banks especially are going to hit the customers with everything!!!

kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 11:58 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• My bank did the same thing to me! only they charged me twice which amounted to $78.00!!! AND they charged me before the 2 items were taken out, AND my paycheck went in before the funds were taken out, so they shouldn't have charged me, but they still did!!! I use citizens bank btw, it's sucks, i have to make the time to go in there and complain on monday or something, and i guess i will have to bring the little one with me, which will be a huge pain because he's 16months and hates to sit still, ugh i'm not looking foward to this
    Anonymous