A "friend" stole from my son. How would you handle this?

I just found out that a person that is supposed to be my best friend stole 4 pairs of shorts at least oneT-shirts and a set of PJs from my son. I was left with 2 stained pairs. I asked my brother if he had seen them and thats when he told me I gave them to her, so she said. He never said anything cause well "I gave them to her". Buying more isnt the problem its the fact of the matter. I can forgive alot but not that. I don't want her in my life anymore, but I hate confrontation. I want to do this a civil as possible. I know that I need to grow a back bone and just tell her I know you stole and I want to you to just stay away from my family. But I cant so is there a way to do that without saying that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 PM on Jul. 15, 2008 in About CafeMom

• The only problem with writing a letter is she's going to see that you have a problem with confrontation and she'll take advantage of that and you'll never get that stuff back and you'll never get your point across. I think you need to go over to her house and say look I know you took these things and I want them back now. It really sucks what you did, because I thought we were best friends and it seems as though I was wrong. Get the stuff back and leave it at that. Don't let her say a word, just say I don't want to hear it, I want my son's clothes back now.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 9:57 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• How about writing a letter, explain that you know the truth of what happened to those items, and because of her lack of character in this situation you do not care to have her associating with your family any longer.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 9:54 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• It doesn't make it ok, but is it possible she was too embarrassed to admit she couldn't afford summer clothes for her son? There could be a bigger issue going on.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 10:04 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• have you spoken with her parents yet? or the school?you should concider this. im not big on confronting kids or teens directly there should be a mediator in place.If she did it to your son she will only befriend someone elce and do it to them like jamesonjustice said their coould be other problems...at home perhaps so mabybe skip talking to the parents but notify the school of your concerns they my be able to help w/ clothes counceling etc. i know at my husbands job there is a lil kid that all the other kids make fun of cause is family is strugaling and cant afford to but him nice clothes and the principal of my husbands school gave him a gift certifacate at old navy plus helped the family obtain food.kids can be very crul to other kids and they might be picking on her.kids also pick up bad habits from what they see their parents do...ETC. hope this helps good luck GOD BLESS.
    yumymommy

Answer by yumymommy at 10:33 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I know it can be hard to confront an issue like this but she may need help with this. It has put you in an impossible situation that isn't truely fair to you but has to be dealt with. Try sitting her down at a coffee shop or local resturant where the two of you can be relaxed and ask her if she had been having some financial problems lately. If she says no then ask her about clothing. She amy own up to it without you having to come right out and ask. If she still acts like nothing is wrong let her know that you what has happened and that you really don't need to be around it at this point in your life. Good luck and GOd Bless...
    wondermommy5

Answer by wondermommy5 at 12:13 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• My ex-friend has 4 kids and more cloths than she knows what to do with. She just left her husband and from what he said she left ALL the kids cloths there cause they were dirty. So it wasn't a $ issue it was a I'm lazy and this is much easier issue. If she needed anything I'd help her and she knows that. And come to find out this isn't the first thing she has lied to me about. Stuff that you don't even need to lie about. My Goodness I'm very mad right now! I have decided to just call her and tell her look i know you took them and I really think that we should just go our own ways. Its gonna suck but I can't have people around me let a lone my son if I can't trust them. Thank you all for your help.
    Anonymous