What have you learned?

If you walked away from a previous religion what was the greatest lesson that it taught you? Do you think that you wouldn't have learned this without that religion. (please post what religion it was)

Asked by skinnyslokita at 10:29 AM on Oct. 1, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I went from blankness/emptiness to being a cautious Christian. I've learned that God cares, understands me, and wants me to do well. He is my biggest fan.

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:39 AM on Oct. 1, 2011

• I learned the value of family and yes, I think I could have learned that in other religions or walks of life but that was my foundation and it set me up to always value family from the get go not coming to that conclusion later in life.

I was Mormon and now Im a Spiritually Eclectic Witch.

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:53 PM on Oct. 1, 2011

• As a former Christian (Lutheran, to be exact), I don't think I learned anything of value that I would not have learned had I been raised Atheist.  I learned a lot of stories, though, and have read the Bible, so at least I'm literate with regard to references that are made to it.  I suppose that counts for something.  But then again, I plan to have my children read the Bible, too, and I'm not raising them in any religion. . . so maybe I haven't gained anything that I would have missed had I not been raised as a Christian.

Answer by jsbenkert at 7:59 PM on Oct. 1, 2011

• I learned the truth is sometimes a hard pill to swallow. My revelation was not a happy one. I have learned that I can handle any truth.

I was Christian and now I am atheist.

Answer by adopteekjt at 10:37 PM on Oct. 1, 2011

• I was raised LDS and I learned that I was bad bad bad and was probably never going to get into heaven. You have to be perfect you know. They teach (IMO) that you earn your way into heaven. Which I now believe is wrong. Yes I do think I wouldn't have learned this without that religion.

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 3:27 AM on Oct. 2, 2011

• Christianity gave me a knowlege of the bible that is essential for an atheist to have. It also taught me that religion--regardless of what kind--is a weapon of mass destruction.

Answer by witchqueen at 8:02 PM on Oct. 2, 2011

• How to spot a line of crap!! That's it, in a nutshell for me.

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:23 PM on Oct. 2, 2011