For parents who only ground or give time outs...

How would you handle it if your kid got really out of control? Screaming all the time, calling you names, being abusive toward the parents, and not caring one way or the other? You can take away everything they have without effect, and ground them without them caring. What next?

ColleenF30

Asked by ColleenF30 at 11:58 AM on Jan. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• I believe in spanking. To all those who get offended I honestly don't care that is my opinion. Its not abuse. If you pop you child on the butt or thigh one time for something its no big deal. Just remember one spank is for the thing they did wrong. Anything after that is out of anger and that is wrong. Some kids do fine with time outs. Others need that physical reminder. It really depends on the kid.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 12:04 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I totally agree with MizAnn...some kids need a spat or spank to get the message across! You cant let your children abuse you because you are afraid that someone will think you are abusing them!
    GraciesMomLJP

Answer by GraciesMomLJP at 12:09 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Ok this child is the same way with spanking. He does not care whatsoever.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:15 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I know of a GREAT book that you might find some good ideas in... it's written by a Christian, so I don't know how you would feel about that..... if you are interested in learning the title and author's name please send me a message =)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 12:20 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I believe in spankings but what seems to work more is ignoring them. Ignore the child. The child is getting a kick out of upsetting you. Once you ignore them for a long time then you talk to them and let them know it will not be tolerated. Everyone hates to be ignored. Don't ignore for a short period. Ignore them until it makes them crazy. They will stop.
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 12:21 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• If nothing works try a child psychologist. Maybe there is more going on.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:22 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Answered at 12:22 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 by: MamaChamp
    MamaC...
    If nothing works try a child psychologist. Maybe there is more going on.

None locally will take him because he has Autism, and they don't work with it around here. The closest place is 140 miles round trip which I cannot afford.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 1:01 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• The idea behind the gentler forms of discipline mean that you intervene BEFORE things get that far out of control. The problems that I see most parents who use corporal punishment have resulted from waiting way too long to intervene. When it gets to the point that your child is screaming at you, you lost control of that situation a long time ago. if you had stopped it BEFORE it started, you wouldn't have an issue. Whenever the people I know who spank actually hit their child, most often it's been something that was THEIR own fault, something they could have stopped long before. Your child runs into the street? Why weren't you holding their hand? Your child screams at you? Why didn't end the situation long before the screaming started? I've never seen a parent who effectively uses gentle discipline lose control of a situation that way.
    Anonymous

• Anon 5":01
    His behavior has been dealt with from the day he was born. He does not care. he thinks he could get out of handcuffs and escape the cops even. Confirmed with CPS this is not a lack of parenting, And he has had his butt cuffed frm the time he was 2. In case you didn't catch it he has Autism, and it is very much his problem as as well. Never assume it was a parenting flaw unless you live in the situation.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:53 PM on Jan. 3, 2009