• In the Spotlight:

Having a BIG problem with 2 year old please help!!!!!

well it all started around the 26 th of dec. my almost 2 year old started this thing that he didnt want to sleep in his bed he is still in the crib by the way well he cried and cried that night and hened up getting out of the crib. so we went to my moms and got the tot. bed that we had been storing there. ok he wounldnt sleep in it he did the 1st night my mom was here and she slept on the floor next to him. i cant do that i am pg and we have hardwood floors. anyway he wont even sleep in the bed with us we have to wait like til 1 am in the morning til he pass out. when you put him in his bed he like freaks out crying and screaming. we havent been getting any sleep has anyone had the same thing happen to them.

Wyattsmom205

Asked by Wyattsmom205 at 12:02 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter has been doing that too. I finally figured out that she is scared of the dark. So maybe try a night light. Another thing that helped is a glowing sea horse (her God-parents got it for her at Target) that plays music, it stays on longer and plays really soothing music. Try those. Let me know if they work!
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 12:09 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• same here we put a nightlight in his room an play a lullaby cd 4 him
    areneemurph

Answer by areneemurph at 12:15 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• He is doing that because he can. Put him in the room with a night light. Promise a treat of some kind if he stays in his bed and go to sleep. He is getting ready to be a handful because you are going to have another baby. Start talking to him about being a big boy. Let him know you are really going to need his help with diapers and showing the baby how to lay down. Make him feel really special about being a big brother. Trust me when I say this.
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 12:18 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• OK -- this may sound crazy, but it's a possibility that is quite common with toddlers if they ever play in sandboxes. If he's always been a good sleeper, it may be... Pinworms.
    This happened to a friend -- 2 year old suddenly wouldn't sleep, and was really upset by the whole thing. The worms come out of the anus in the dark, which makes them itch and burn and constantly wake them up. Of course, the kid can't reach because of the diaper. What my friend had to do was (brace yourself), put scotch tape over her anus to catch the worms. She then had to let her daughter sleep in bed with her and when she woke up, she had to rip the diaper off fast and shine the flashlight superfast to try to catch one to know for sure. She did this, saw it and then they put her on strong antibiotics to kill the worms. Check with your pedi about this as it's apparently quite common in toddlers.
    I hope you get some sleep soon!
    curlyk

Answer by curlyk at 1:05 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Can you place his bed up against your bed?
    LOLOSOLI

Answer by LOLOSOLI at 3:29 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Have you tried the ferber method- you put them to bed, let them cry for 5 minutes , go in reassure them- let them cry for 10 minutes, etc. There is a lot of info on the technique online. I agree with the nightlight, and music. But also- don't give to many choices- it seems like if he won't sleep where you want him to he has a few other options...I'd limit his sleeping spot to one place and figure out how to make it work for him. Good luck.
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 4:43 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I got this Starlight turtle for lexie

she loves it

but it does happen once in awhile,

i am not sure why it does she has woke up in the middle of the night two ...days in a row screaming and crying,

it was so bad i had to go in there and sleep lol

kids are kids!
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 5:32 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Ok... so my son did the same thing. He was super congested once and I put a waterless vaperizor thing in his room by his bed and I already had been sitting beside his bed and would put only one hand on his stomach or back or hip or whatever... well once I had started putting the light in there he AGAIN started going to bed on his own!
    crissymlee

Answer by crissymlee at 5:53 PM on Jan. 3, 2009