Really, this early?

I have been reading in a few magazines that its okay to give a 7 or 8 month old cheerios... I feel like my daughter would choke on that, but maybe I am wrong. Is this early? Also can I give her teething cookies or anything else? What have you given around this age?

LovinMyMikayla

Asked by LovinMyMikayla at 12:11 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son is 9 months old and i just started giving him rice rusks and teething cookies. I gave him rice rusks around 7 months and he gaged and choked. i feel thats to early at least itwas for my son.. and i think it still would be too early for cherios!! i don't even give him puffs yet although i plan on it i just bought him some :)
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 12:14 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I gave my daughter cheerios around 6-7 months. She sucked on them. Same with the teething cookies.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 12:15 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Test it out. Every baby is different.
    MizAnn

• My daughter is 7 months old, and I giver her the Gerber Graduates for Beginners. (Biter Biscuts and Apple Wagon Wheels)

But beware they are messy!! I prefer that she be naked (diaper only) when I give them to her, and she gets a bath directly afterward!

I also giver her other bread products...such as we went to round table the other night, and I gave her some pizza crust to chew on, she loved it....as well as a hard dinner roll and things like that. I tried a piece of melon but it was too slippery for her to hang onto.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:15 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I started giving my son frozen bagels when he was 7 months old. It helped with his teething and by the time it became unfrozen it was mushy enough for him to swallow. I think he was about 7 or 8 months when I gave him Cheerios. I just gave him one at a time and he was fine with it.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:16 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• But no, I wouldn't do Cheerios for her yet, it seems like they are too small...but every kid is different too, Kaylee is eating Stage 3 foods and does great mashing up the chunks with her gums.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:17 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• i gave my little girl biter bisquits and the dissolvable graduate things when she was like 7 or 8 months an she did great. just try and see.
    brittanybell

Answer by brittanybell at 12:39 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I gave the gerber puffs at about 6 months of age. My dd currently 8 months eats table food now! Try, if she chokes then try again later.
    shanny35

Answer by shanny35 at 12:43 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Yes, every kid is different so until you try you won't know if it's okay for your baby.

At 6 months with all of my boys, we started finger and table foods. At 7 months, their diet was about half table foods and half baby food. By 9 months they were on all table foods.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:02 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Try the Gerber Puffs if you haven't already. They are similar to Cheerios, but dissolve in their mouth. You'll just have to try it out and see what she is ready for. My son had a very sensitive gag reflex so it was slow going on introducing the Wagon Wheel cookies or anything like that. But he could handle the puffs.
    owensmom17

Answer by owensmom17 at 2:14 PM on Jan. 3, 2009