does anyone know much about this new law about to go into affect in February?

February 10th has been declared national bankruptcy day.... NICE? All business owners , even us SAHM, may be put out of business if we make toys or clothing for children under 12....

SDEMKE

Asked by SDEMKE at 12:12 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• huh? How? I'm confused.
    Anonymous

• never heard of this!!!
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 12:25 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• That doesn't make any sense....
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:25 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I hadn't heard of this but a little research makes me wonder if the collective IQ in Congress is even lower than I had thought!
    Here's some of the info I found:
    http://www.fashion-incubator.com/archive/national-bankruptcy-day/
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122696993087535701.html
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:25 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• You know what?? I'd like to know why the public isn't even informed that these things will be put to a vote! What happened to Democracy??  Our "elected officials" who are supposed to be serving us, are being served by us!  I bet this new law lines their pockets somehow... they don't pass laws like this unless it is to their benefit.

brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 12:49 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• i heard someting about it
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 1:09 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• And I wonder what OBAMA is going to do about it, since the law WILL be taking effect under HIS administration! He will have a few weeks to abolish this law...if he wants...or maybe *gasp* HE and "his people" (like EVERY politician) will benefit from it somehow!

Thank the liberal media for not getting this story out there to the masses. Republican/conservative/right wing website have known about this law for quite some time--along with those "evil rich people" who are business owners!!!
    Anonymous

• i dont get it? so if they make toys for kids there going out of business? im confused....
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 2:37 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I knew someone had to include Obama in this. It didn't take long though...I'm quite surprised.

The media is only as liberal as the conservatives that own it..
    Anonymous

• I just read the WSJ article and here's the key points -
    It is NOT a bankruptcy holiday - a store owner is calling it that.
    Stores that sell items to children must sell their existing stock by Feb 10 UNLESS it meets the newer, stricter guidelines regarding lead content.

Store owners are saying they will be forced out of business unless they are allowed to sell their on-hand stock, even if it contains lead. They are trying to get the government to relax the rule so they will have more time to sell their stock on hand.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 2:58 PM on Jan. 3, 2009