Who gives their babies cough and cold medicine?

My doctor still believes that cough and cold medicine is ok for babies, and I fully trust him. Just wondering what everyone else's docs are telling them.

shanny35

Asked by shanny35 at 12:40 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When my daughter had a cold I gave her a 1/2 of the smallest dosage. I never give cough syrup or take it b/c, coughing is a good thing and its trying to dislodge whatever is in your system and lungs. If you just mask it and make it stop, the infection will just get worse when you suppress it. And as much as possible I would Lysol and wipe everything down with alcohol so you can stop the spread of the cold virus. Disinfecting can be trouble, but it helps keep you all a little healthier and avoid big public places and people who are touching and coughing on your child.
    I think the number one store we spread germs is Walmart, b/c, its the cheapest on RX and once you leave the Dr. everyone heads there! I avoid it like the plague in months like this! LOL
    mrstremblay

Answer by mrstremblay at 11:35 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• my kids drs have told me not to give it to them.. WHich i dont listen to!!! if u give them the right amout its ok. they took it off the shelf bc people overdose their kids!!!!!! im not goin to over dose my kids so i will continue to give it to them, my daughter had a horrible cough to where i actually took her to the hospital and they still wouldnt give me anything. so i bought meds for a 2yr old and split the dose in half and she was fine.
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 12:56 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Watch the dosages and watch drug interactions. (don't give Tylenol cold and then a dose of regular Tylenol)

I only give it at bedtime to help them sleep. The more you give the longer it takes to get rid of the cold, so it's a last ditch effort for me....

Oh...and never before 6 months.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:01 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I never did. Just because I'm such a freak about medicating the kids anyway. I use humidifiers, bulb suction and vicks baby rub. If they were really uncomfortable I would go ahead a give a little advil.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 1:17 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• We do. Our Dr. still uses it with his kids and I trust him completely. He always figures up the right dose for me to use, and I go with what he says. So we do not use the dosages on the bottle. He calculates it for me. I think it's fine as long as you don't overdose your kids, which is why they got pulled.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 2:12 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I do NOT. What's the point?? Let their immune systems do what they were designed to do. If my kids have a stuffy nose, I put a lil bit of salt water up their noses, like 1-2 drop..then suck at the snot with the blue bulby thing. Then I'll put breast milk up the nose. That stops it from getting stuffy again for hours and it helps to heal faster.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 2:28 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I do, and luckily I stocked up on medicines before the big recall last year. Ya know, first it was a recall about something, then they came up saying it was unsafe. I don't know who to believe BUT ME - so I do what I feel is best. It's not a cure all, but it sure as hell does make you feel "ok" while you're getting better.
    mom23boys679

Answer by mom23boys679 at 2:32 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I almost never even take medicine myself and I don't remember the last time my 6 and 9 year old had meds. I see no reason to give them drugs when there are so many natural alternatives that work great. If they were really super miserable, I might give them a little something. But I don't think they ever get that sick!
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 2:49 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I think if you are directed by a doctor on the correct dosage then it is ok. But the problem comes from people like the first poster who guess on the dosage for their child... be either giving a child's medication or an adult medication and just giving a smaller amount... not knowing how much medication is safe for a baby. And that is why they took them off the shelf for babies... because people guess not because they are unsafe period.
    Another reason it's bad to self medicate your infant without direction by a doctor is because you would be masking symptoms of a larger problem... such as pneumonia. And with pneumonia, for example, you want them to cough and get the crud out, not supress it. And you need antibiotics... if you treat at home it can get much worse!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:00 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I DO try to limit it as much as possible. My son has really bad allergies AND a super-sensitive gag reflex, so we he gets real congested he starts gagging and then vomitting. It's no fun for any of us. So I DO give him Children's Claritin at bedtime when his allergies get really bad so he isn't waking up. But I follow the dosage amt. exactly, and only use it when absolutely necessary.

fyi: Among the reasons already listed for discouraging the meds is that no scientific study actually shows cough medicines to be effective in children under the age of 6 or 7. (I read that in my Parent's magazine yesterday - not saying it's true, but that's what it said:)
    owensmom17

Answer by owensmom17 at 3:00 PM on Jan. 3, 2009