How do I stop my daughter from hurting herself?

She throws horrible temper tantrums when she doesn't get her way. She is 18 months old, she is starting to sling her head back and hit it on the floor, wall, chairs, tables, etc. She has hit it pretty hard a couple of times. I took her to the ER a week or so ago cause I thought she had a concusion. She only had a mild one and couldn't go to sleep for a few hours.
What do I do to get her to stop?
Help please!

lauraluann

Asked by lauraluann at 9:59 PM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When she starts to do it, move her to a place that is soft. Surround her with pillows and just make sure you protect her head. Once she has words to express her feelings, this behavior may stop. Hang on for a few more months! :)
    IndianaMom03

Answer by IndianaMom03 at 11:18 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• when she starts to do this tell her you are going to walk away once you have places her in a safe enviroment as indianamom03 mentioned and let her see you start to leave, she may be more interested in where you are going and forget about the fit. If she does follow you into the next room she will have forgotten about two things in one and you can try rewarding her with a good job hug. Good luck and God bless
    wondermommy5

Answer by wondermommy5 at 11:56 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• put her in her crib where she can't really hurt herself. idk, though, if she's giving herself concussions, you may need to sit on the floor and hold her down until she calms down enough. this is a really extreme tantrum. good luck
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 1:02 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I don't mean this in a negative way, but has your child been tested for Autism? I am a mom of a special needs child and also have a brother with ADHD and nephew who is Autistic. Hopefully it is just temper tantrums, but if a child is Autistic, it usually shows up about that time.
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 1:52 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• First off let me say: Thank goodness my son (also 18 months) is not the only child that does this!!:) Second, it is totally normal. The terrible twos have reared their ugly head. My son likes to head butt things, especially when he doesn't get his way; usually the floor. But only until it hurts and then he stops. He also will go limp if he doesn't like what you are trying to make him do and hit the ground or whatever else is nearby really hard. The pillow idea works well if you can catch the tantrum quick. When I was this age my mom actually took me to the Doc because I would roll me eyes into my head and seem to pass out. They told her it was temper tantrum convulsions and that it was totally normal. We just have to hang in there and do our best. I've given up hope that my son will not have scars...lol...he actually busted his head open a few days ago; luckily that one was an accident. I think we should start a support group for bruised toddlers.(:
    cjzmom

Answer by cjzmom at 2:48 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I have four kids . My oldest 11yrs.old , 3,2,1....My oldest was just like what you described on your question with the tantrums...until one day grandma ( my mom ) who birth 8 kids.....whooped my childs tail that I had to leave the room because I was in tears...Well never again that was the last fit she had. Now with the my other kids I just simply walk away.
    lu4

Answer by lu4 at 4:31 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I've heard of people taking their kids to a mirror and letting them "watch" themselves. Once they see how they look it should stop. Not in my house! I walk off. I also don't yell - I talk in a monotone while this is going on and they have to stop screaming to hear me. Usually works pretty well. If not, I take a "fun" thing away. Watching a movie, going to swing on the swing set. Good Luck!
    mandcmom

Answer by mandcmom at 11:56 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Thanks everyone for your advice, and letting me know I am not the only one.
    lauraluann

Answer by lauraluann at 10:30 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• All you can do is keep her safe when she is acting that way. my daughter used to have night terrors so i know how crazy scary they are!
    amylong

Answer by amylong at 2:49 AM on Jul. 25, 2008