Does Homeschooling Save Money?

I keep hearing moms say Homeschooling saves money, how so?

blowingsteam

Asked by blowingsteam at 1:22 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• not if you have to seek therapy from them being home all the time. lol
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 1:24 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I feel if you are a parent who has a college ed. and good with teaching you child it is not bad. But it is cheaper to send them to a public with great teachers. That can work with the child. Plus if is a only child there is children for them to play with. Then they have sports, the arts of music, band and vocal. This is one thing that home schooling does not offer and they do not have the TV to watch.
    Just take time to think it over, for it is your child, education that is on the line price should not be the in the picture.
    peaches-3

Answer by peaches-3 at 1:32 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Not in my opinion. I have thought about possibly homeschooling my toddler when the time comes. I have not ruled it out but I have picked out his educational placement. I still buy educational material and I have donated some of that to his current pre primary classroom. It is so expensive. Worth it. But for us I would spend a ton more money in addition to the taxes I pay for our local school district. I don't have a problem paying for our taxes - nor do I have a problem with spending money for my son's educational needs for use at home. I don't think you have to spend a ton of money to have a proper education. It is just I personally like a lot of materials in addition to the basics. It depends on your budget and your teaching philosophy. One of the best school philosophies I like: Waldorf - totally uses nature and simplicity.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:39 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I feel if you are a parent who has a college ed. and good with teaching you child it is not bad.

LOL! I know plenty of dummies who have a college education. I'm sorry, but going to college does not make a person smart. I personally know of a woman who majored in math and works as a substitute teacher in the public schools. She could not figure out a tricky math problem in a fifth grader's math book. I have no college education, but was able to solve the same problem. I think it's quite naive to assume that a college education is necessary to qualify someone to teach their own child. Without question, it is the parents' level of commitment to their children, not their level of education, that matters most.

Anonymous

• To anonymous, I'd like to say that the substitute may have done things differently in college (the math problem) but if you were in the classroom throughout the week, you probably had an idea of how the teacher had been explaining it to the kids, and therefore could do the problem.

You can homeschool without spending any money if you would like, though it takes extra planing and research.

With public schools already paid for our children, and many kids now able to recieve free lunches, and moms being able to work while their kids are in school, homeschooling might be more expensive, but I think the benefits are far greater if it is what you are called to do.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 2:53 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Absolutely! It saves the government the cost of educating a child for 13 years! I can't figure out why people aren't thanking homeschoolers for saving the taxpayers all that money.

I am a mom of 7 and homeschool the 5 who are old enough for school. We definitely save a lot of money on gas since I would not allow my kids to ride the bus if they went to school. Homeschooling can cost just about as much as or little as you want it to. I spend approximately $600 - $700 a year to homeschool 5 kids. It's possible to homeschool without even buying textbooks. The internet has an innumerable amount of resources which parents can use for free or very inexpensively, including daily worksheets for any subject.

Godluvzu

Answer by Godluvzu at 3:02 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Some people also say that homeschooling saves money because parents don't feel like they have to buy all the expensive clothes that the "other" kids are wearing just their kids will fit in. This isn't an issue for us. My kids have too many clothes as it is, and they don't care if they get hand-me-downs from other families. They don't have to worry about trying to fit in and looking like everyone else, so they just wear what they like.
    Godluvzu

Answer by Godluvzu at 3:03 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• TXdanielly,

Actually, it was only a word problem dealing with fractions, which required good thinking skills. It was not that complicated. My point was that a college education does not make someone "smart enough" to teach, just as not having a college education does not make someone NOT smart enough to teach. It has been clearly established by standardized testing that homeschooled children of parents without college degrees consistently perfrom substantially better than public schooled children with teachers possessing college degrees. Again, it's the level of commitment that matters more than the level of education.

Anonymous

• It depends and how you homeschool and whether you are comparing it to public or private school. It can be cheape or more expensive. We use a lot of free and inexpensive resources from libraries, used curriculum sales, and the internet, so our "curriculum" costs very little. We don't have to pay for book rental fees, school lunches, school clothes, new school supplies every year (whether they need them not) , classroom supplies, etc. There are a lot of hidden expenses parents are expected to pay for that "free" public education!
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 6:58 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I feel I need to point out that a college education does not necessarily qualify someone to homeschool. I found the opposite to be true. I had to UNLEARN or disregard much of what I was taught in my education courses in order to learn how to help my kids learn naturally like they do in a HS environment. Teaching in a school and helping children learn at home are very different!Also, many places DO have sports, music, band, chorus, etc. for HS kids. There are also other ways to meet those needs if the child is really interested. And most HSers are MUCH more social than people realize. Most HSers have MORE socializing opportunities than schooled kids.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 7:13 PM on Jan. 3, 2009