How Does Homeschooling Save money?

Can someone please explain how homeschooling saves money? I work in real estate and make approximately $2500-$3000 per month. It is stressful work right now, at least 30 hours a week. I have 4 kids, would it benefit us to homeschool or should we just keep things the same. My 10 year old is in a charter school where he does 2 days a week homestudy and he has improved his grades to all A's and 1 B. My kids ages are 7,8,9 and 10. They are all good students too. I love teaching.

blowingsteam

Asked by blowingsteam at 1:26 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Money & Work

• I don't think it saves money per say, as you still need to pay your property taxes that support your public schools, and you have to buy supplies, plus the time you need to devote to actually teaching your children will cut in to your ability to work.

I think it's best to continue to keep your children in school, and SUPPLEMENT what they learn in school with your OWN teachings as much as you and they want. Children need socialization as much as they need an education. If you stay on top of what your children are learning in school, and add to it as much as possible, I think its a "win-win" situation! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:35 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• It doesn't save money; where did you hear that? While I don't agree with LoriKeet on the subject of "socialization" (common misconception) I do agree with her in general. It sounds as if that would be a good plan for your family. I homeschool; I know tons of cheap-to-free ways to get or make materials. PM me if you want any assistance.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 2:36 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I keep reading people post "I homeschool, so that saves money..." As for socialization, I do feel my kids in school get to learn how to handle themselves with others in situations before they grow up and the consequences are BIG, however, at the same time those same benefits are also a distraction to their education.
    blowingsteam

Answer by blowingsteam at 2:49 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I home schooled our oldest daughter for 2 years, and she is very social. She communicates much better with children older than she is, and she can relate to kids who are on the same academic level that she is. She has been in public school fro 3 years now, and she really doesn't relate well with the kids her own age because she's a little farther advanced in her line of thinking. Instead of the "mainstream-stand-in-line" mentality, she's a WAY-outside-the-box thinker. So she struggles to make friends. She actually has more friends from religious activities and dance class than anything.
    Ms.Melanie

Answer by Ms.Melanie at 2:49 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• If you have the knowledge and the time, I say go for it! I think that it would benefit you in several ways, one which is cost of clothing per year. Your children won't need all the back to school clothing and such, which is always a hugh savings! As long as you keep them active and social with others, I think it's great!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 7:12 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Homeschooling does not save money and that would be the wrong reason to go down that path. It might save you some if you are paying private school tuition like I was. We homeschool and do it much more cheaply than we paid tuition, even with the extracurricular things that we pay for now. Socialization is a socialist/communist concept and certainly no reason to keep children in government education. Just another way they are indoctrinating the masses.
    luvmybabieskna

Answer by luvmybabieskna at 9:57 AM on Jan. 4, 2009