is it safe to color my hair while pregnant

gurlieracer4

Asked by gurlieracer4 at 1:46 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• nope fumes arent good
    Anonymous

• There is a 50% chance that the chemicals in the dye will enter your bloodstream. So, to me, No it is not safe to color your hair while pregnant. There are color washes that are safe to use. They last about 6 weeks. Ask your hair stylist about this. She would know what is safe and what is not.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:49 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Its fine.. i talked to my doctor about it when I was pregers she said its fine to have your hair dyed and your nails done.. its jus a myth the fumes dont do any harm..
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 1:49 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• My doctor told me it was fine, so long as I could stand the smell (i had bad morning sickness) and he encouraged doing it in a well ventilated area, but said that that actual act of dying my hair would not do anything.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:53 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• If there was a 50% chance chemicals could get into your bloodstream it would never be safe to color your hair. My doc said it was fine.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 1:59 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

I was going off the information that my doctor gave to me as well as my Biology 1108 class. There has not been enough studies done to make it official. But why take the chance, especially since there are other options out there.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:03 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• No
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 2:25 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• i colored my hair dark while pregnant and was worried... i called me doctor, read info and asked other women who have been thru it.... basically they said all the same thing... its fine if i can stand the smell and as long as i do it in an open area...the smell is very strong and i had to pace around my room lol like airing myself out.. and the color takes very fast so be careful.... but do it! U will feel beautiful afterwards...
    kwiseman19

Answer by kwiseman19 at 2:29 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• its fine.. my doctor had hairdressers who were prego, and had their hands in the dyes everyday. he said that their babies were fine. just an old wives tale.. if you are worried about fumes, do your hair in an open area, or wear something over the lower half of your face.. i did.. i used the ones that you wear when you are painting.. sounds nutty, but it helped a little.. nothing completely blocks the fumes though...
    chiquilla82

Answer by chiquilla82 at 6:31 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I talked to my doctor and he said that the fumes in todays hair dye arent nearly as harsh as they were 30 years ago. and as for dye getting into your blood stream? it can, if you drink it or rub it into a cut, but my doctor said that it was ridiculous. im not trying to say anyones answers are ridiculous or anything, just relaying information
    chaotickaiden

Answer by chaotickaiden at 9:17 PM on Jan. 3, 2009