Virginity is Precious...

I was curious if anyone knew or had an idea where the concept of virginity being a precious thing/gift came from?

Was watching a show and the thought popped into my head so I thought Id ask. Figured it probably stemmed from religious thoughts,teachings,etc.

BonesDragonDew

Asked by BonesDragonDew at 1:47 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Mmm well the Greeks had Virgin Goddessess, so I am sure it wasn't a Christian thing. I'm inclined to think the value on virginity for women for marriage came around as they started to be looked on as property. The idea of not wanting used property.... *ahem*
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 4:49 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Common sense?
    Anonymous

• the Bible. Purity
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 1:52 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• that was a dumb answer anon.. geez.. i think it came from religion i jus dont know what one.. it jus has to do wit being pure for husband
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 1:52 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• No clue where it came from but it is sure right. That is the gift you can only give away one time.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 1:55 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• It is a Biblical concept.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:58 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I think its a religious concept not just "Biblical". Virginity is supposed to be pure until your married...really its common sense..People would not be running around with STD's, pregnancy out of wedlock etc. I think it was a way to nip these in the bud..
    Anonymous

• Awww...thanks Miss.Smokey. But perhaps before you call anyone's answer dumb you might want to check this handy dandy little tool called SPELL CHECK. Yes, it would have helped you with all those misspelled words in your answer.
    Anonymous

• Anon (the one replying to Miss.Smokey) - Maybe stop hiding and be woman enough to be rude to someone without the anonyminity before giving other people advice on how to properly reply, eh?

And Hiliarie, I'm not sure... I don't think it started out as a religious thing. I think that came later. Interesting, though, that it was only the women who were to remain "pure" while the men were held to a different standard altogether.
    Guinhyvar

Answer by Guinhyvar at 5:34 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• It is interesting but its nice to know the double standards have been around since the dawn of time LOL.

The idea of when women were considered property is actually an interesting concept that makes sense. Never thought of that before.

Thx ladies!
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 6:08 PM on Jan. 3, 2009