medical card question

I had a medical card with my last pregnancy which was only not even 5 months ago. I just found out I am pregant again with no insurance. During this pregancy, I will graduate, and it is likely that my husband will get a new job that is much higher paying. My question is, if, in the middle of my pregnancy, our money situation gets better, will they take my medical card? Even though we make more money we still wouldn't be able to afford to pay for a birth with no insurance. The last time they didn't have us update with them.. my hubby actually got a different job and we didn't tell them, but it paid the same. If they were to find out that either one of us got a better paying job, what would the penalty be? What are my options?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:57 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Your question depends on your state. Usually, a maternity claim is posted as a "global Fee' Which means that the doctor and insurance company have an agreement for all of your maternity needs. They have a contract price, so if you need 40 visits and 3 ultrasounds, they are all included in one price. For the most part, a pregnant woman can USUALLY get approved for Medicaid for the duration of her pregnancy as well as the first year of the child's birth. Now I cautiously state that because that is in MY state of FL. Also, if you are approved for Medicaid, without a pregnancy, they usually issue that for 6 months at a time, and tell you the terms that you have to report a certain amount of difference in your financial situation. I have never had state insurance during a pregnancy, but have a cousin and she had 2 babies with state insurance. Good luck
    Scimecamommy

Answer by Scimecamommy at 2:13 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Do a home birth :)
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 2:24 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Sorry, not meaning to argue, but a home birth? Who is going to pay for that? She obviously hasa alot of questions, and leaving her to figure it out on her own is not a helpful response. At least if she starts out with insurance she will get some guidance, and if she winds up losing her insurance she can send the hospital $10 a month for the rest of her life. Suggesting a home birth is great for someone that can afford to pay a midwife or experienced helper, but in this situation, that as NOT the best answer.
    Scimecamommy

Answer by Scimecamommy at 2:41 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Midwives are cheaper, and accept medicade usually. That way if they stopped paying you would have a better chance of paying it off easier. My birth center only charges about $4,000 for every visit and the birth but medicade will cover it all for me. I am in FL as well though.
    lasombrs

Answer by lasombrs at 2:46 PM on Jan. 3, 2009